Whats been your most profitable bike purchase?

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
I don't mean deliberately bought a bargain to flip, but rather a bike you bought, used and then parted with.

I bought an M2 Stumpjumper last year for £70. It came with a set of bombers and an XT crank that I sold on for £120 and a SRAM X4 shifters + stem/bars that went for another £40.

I then built it up to original spec with spares from my old rockhopper.

last month when I came to sell it I split it down as there was no interest in the full bike and was surprised by what I got for the component parts.

So all in I reckon that £70 bike generated about a £400 profit.

Just as well really because my Privateer has cost a small fortune to get the way I want it.

You should send a CV to "The Pros Closet".

you'll fit right in.

LOL.

you'll fit right in.

Bit unfair, I only thought it might be an interesting topic.

I'm sure we've all sold something for more than we paid for it. Just as I'm sure we've all karma'd something we no longer had a use for.

Re:

Think of it as the bicycle version of "Bargain Hunt" but without the day-glo Orange David Dickinson :LOL:
(Actually, his flouro-orange features would fit right in amongst the neon day-glo 90's mtb stuff :LOL: ).

slackboy":uarmzc3m said:
you'll fit right in.

Bit unfair, I only thought it might be an interesting topic.

I'm sure we've all sold something for more than we paid for it. Just as I'm sure we've all karma'd something we no longer had a use for.

There is nothing unfair about it, it is a very interesting topic.

Carry on.

Re:

Anything saved from the tip usually, but only in "Wheeler dealers" terms of profit.
*In Mike Brewer voice* Dave brought the bike from the tip for £15, Ed (Dave) spent a good few hours & fixed the shifters & punctures, cleaned up the gearset, gave it a service & added a new cheap saddle £5 & then we sold it for £40 making a whopping profit of £20 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well. Without saying too much, I bought bike X for 120 GBP and sold only the bottle cages and skewers for 120 GBP;
you can guess the rest. Only the steel Zoom seatpost got left behind. The bike was used only once to ride home
after buying it.

I flipped a Litespeed for about 400 GBP gain. I bought it with the intention to be a keeper, but once I built it
up and did 10 Km ride the decision was made to sell it on; it was a touch too big.

Normally, it's small fry, but still. I bought a Clockwork for 50 GBP and it had a rare Thomson size seatpost in mint
condition in it which sold for 40 GBP. The bike was used and renovated for a good two years. Kind of regret
letting it go now.

I'll try at least to make sure my hobby "pays for itself" so to speak. Recently though I seem to be amassing
low-end / mid-range stuff which has been neglected, butchered or molested but nothing worn. A spate of bad luck
after the purchase like derailleur hanger bent, unremovable FAG bottom bracket, cracked seat-tube, crushed chainstay
from a bike stand, drive side spokes obliterated.

Swings and roundabouts.

I bought a Specialized Enduro frame only (direct from a dealer), built it up with eBay/sale bargains and what i had lying around.

Realised that the frame was an utter piece of rubbish, designed by someone who had never ridden in the UK (or maybe at all). Sold it after about 18 months and probably 20-25 rides.

Made about £50 profit on the frame. Same again on the forks. Most of the rest of the bits i either sold for pretty much what i bought them for, or kept for another build. Think the whole experiment netted me a set of hope brakes and 100-150 quid.

Back