The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
I have always loved the Whyte JW/PRST thing. I've decided to replace my MF Team FS with one but I know absolutely nothing about them and rather than trawl for hours I thought I'd ask a few questions on here of those who know.

Thanks in advance.

1. What was made roughly when as I want retro?
2. What's the model hierarchy?
3. What size is maximum as I'm 18st 6'3" 32" leg?
4. How much should I pay for a good one?
5. Anything to avoid or weaknesses/stress points etc?
6. Which would you recommend?

and

How much do you want for yours? :LOL:

Please help as this will be my last buy for a good while as I'm relocating and all that expensive shite....

Thanks THM

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Need Weird Whyte JW/PRST buying advice prospective purchase

I have one of each! Jealous?
Seriously I hope you find a good one. I have been a fanatic since I bought a new one in 2005. It was a final year (2004) JW4. I tried a good few bikes up to about £1500 and when I rode the JW4 I assumed that the suspension had way too much pressure in it since it didn't bob when I pedalled. I had to look at the shocks to confirm that they were, indeed, working. This translated to fantastic cross country performance. With no striction from a telescopic fork the small bump sensitivity is amazing. The virtual pivot point at the rear was years ahead of it's time.
The pivots were worn by 2011 so I scrapped it. A decision I immediately regretted when I rode it's replacement. Bush kits are still available from ATB Sales. I should have bought one.
instead I got my JW4 frame in 2016 for £225 from Ebay and built it up with parts from my stocks. This year I have replaced the shock mounts and bushes and it's as good as new. ( I replaced the shock oil but not the seals)
I got the PRST4 about a year ago, also from Ebay. It was a frame with shocks, seatpost and rear wheel for £165. I have used the bars and stem from my first JW4 so it's quite old school.
The lineage was that in, I think, 1998 Jon Whyte had designed and presumably prototyped the PRST 1 but ATB sales, the Marin importer, thought it was too radical for Marin so they started a new brand called Whyte.
The PRSTs had "big gripper" latched drop outs to make them stiff like a through axle. The swinging arm was a wrap around design of single pivot. The PRST2 and cheaper JW2 had a new single pivot swinging arm which looks just like a Marin Rift Zone Mk1. The JW had a tubular fork rather than the more expensive welded aluminium box section on the PRSTs and a quick release skewer at both ends.
The "4s" then introduced the virtual pivot rear ends. Apparently the earliest PRSTs had a weakness in the rear shock mount which could fracture. It was changed at some point.
Small medium and large sizes were made. Mine have all been medium and I'm 5'9", they are a good size for me.
It's vital that you don't set the suspension by setting the sag when your sitting on it. If you do that you won't be putting enough pressure in and it will bob like mad. Instead add your body weight in pounds to the rear and 75% of this figure to the front.
I rode a local red graded circuit in 11min 31 sec on my modern FS bike but in identical conditions I managed 11min 12 on the PRST4. I didn't feel as lively on that day either so I think the figure genuinely show the PRST to be a faster circuit racer. Or just enjoy the unique ride, you don't need to thrash yourself! They feel a bit flimsy on the rougher downhills where 100mm at each end may not be quite enough. The PRST does feel stiffer with the fancy dropouts.
You may be able to guess that these bikes are for life for me so I won't be able to sell you one. If you're local I'd certainly let you accompany me on a test ride, though.
As a final disappointment to inform you of...………..my wife's brother, who is a collector of tech., not a biker, bought a PRST1 which had been assembled but had never had pedals fitted. £850. If he ever decides he doesn't need it I'll end up with 3! You could look at my recently started blog to hear about my Strava KOM attempts on the PRST4.

Andrew.

Re: Need Weird Whyte JW/PRST buying advice prospective purchase

The History Man":ffxofrnj said:
Is this a fair price and as big as they go???? 19" he reckons

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/whyte-jw2-ra ... :rk:2:pf:0

I think the price is good if the pivots aren't worn. I see that it's a JW2 with a coil front shock. It's tight at the front so if you want to replace with an air shock only certain 165mm shocks will fit. The Fox rear shock would also fit the front. I expect you'd need a good bit of preload at the front to prevent bobbing. I'd buy it if I were you and the pivots are OK. I think a full set is £165 if not so it adds a good bit to the cost.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hi J,
I've had loads of these over the years, they made them in: S - 17", M = 19" and L - 21"
If you look at the following pics you can see the differences....
The first pic is from t'internet and not my bike (the rest are pics of my bikes) and shows the original first-gen rear shock mounting point, these are the "most retro".

Attachments

• early1.jpg
    early1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,365
Re:

Then they did the MkII with the modified rear mount:

Attachments

• secondgen1.jpg
    secondgen1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 3,368
Re:

Production then switched to the PRST-4 with the different rear end (no chain slap), earlier versions still had V-brake mounts:

Attachments

• 4withV.jpg
    4withV.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 3,368
Re:

They eventually phased-out the V brake mounts and were disc only, looked a little cleaner sans brake bosses!

This pic is also a 21''-large, if you compare it to the pic above (19") you can see it's a taller seat tube.

There's no difference in length/reach though, the main monocoque is the same for all sizes.

The cheaper JW-2 didn't have the "big-gripper" dropouts or the proper "plus four" forks.

Cheers,

M.

Attachments

• disc4.jpeg
    disc4.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 3,363
Re:

This is all fantastic information very much appreciated. So I should hold. Out for the largest frame then?

Latest posts

Back