Help please - Steel GT serial numbers

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm interested in the serial numbers of the steel GTs - especially pre-94, but any pre-98 are interesting.

Would anyone who has one and is willing to share it send me it? If you don't want to post it in the thread you can PM me it and it won't go anywhere other than on my (offline) spreadsheet.

I probably want to stick to steel though - titanium is covered elsewhere (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40095), as is Zaskars and including other aluminium frames is a bit too broad.

Thank you.

No GT owners left? My intention, once I have gathered enough information is to either post here or in the wiki with a guide to helping identify frames, but until I have enough information it isn't really worthwhile.

If you have any spare time over Christmas, please check the serials on all your lovely GTs :p

Yes, true, I understand that. It has already helped me identify two of my frames I had got the wrong way around though and I've been able to ID two repainted frames on Ebay to help the sellers. But mainly it's just because I find it interesting ..... it doesn't seem that anyone else is interested though.

kingoffootball":1bfupet7 said:
Yes, true, I understand that. It has already helped me identify two of my frames I had got the wrong way around though and I've been able to ID two repainted frames on Ebay to help the sellers. But mainly it's just because I find it interesting ..... it doesn't seem that anyone else is interested though.

I have collected serial numbers and from many brand names including GT. GT mountain bikes or allTerra had frames made by several suppliers so there are a variety of serial number formats.

GT, Gary Turner, started with BMX bikes and these have there own sets of serial numbers.

Here is a breif summary of what I have found for GT allTerra bike. This summary in no way covers all the various GT serial numbers.

1984-85 Timberline
GTym#### - y = number for the year of frame manufacture, m = letter for the month
Gym#####

1987-92 Avalanche, Karakorum, Timberline, and other models
- the serial numbers have three components on the BB.
Tyymm - T=manufacturers letter, yy=two digits for the year of frame manufacture, mm= two digits for the month
#### - sequential number
aaaaaa - Letters and numbers for the GT model. varies in number of characters.

1993-95 Karakorum
Hymx #### - H=manufacturers letter, y=one digits for the year of frame manufacture, m=letter for the month,
x=letter or number, ####= sequential number

1996-2000 Avalanche, Aggressor, Strike
Symx##### - S=manufacturers letter, y=one digits for the year of frame manufacture, m=letter for the month,
x=letter, #####= sequential number
1998-2000 Palomar, Timberline
Pymx##### - P=manufacturers letter, y=one digits for the year of frame manufacture, m=letter for the month,
x=letter, #####= sequential number

There are exceptions and variations of the above formats.

2000-2001 GT company goes into bankruptcy. In September 2001 the GT brandname becomes the property of Pacific Cycle of Madison, Wisconson.

After 2001 many GT frame serial numbers tend to have the format of other Pacific Cycle brand bicycles.

The Zaskar model, made in the USA, has its own serial number format.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the reply, I was aware of some of that, though not the later stuff.

This are the ones that interest me most:

dihummer":2xxb55qb said:
1987-92 Avalanche, Karakorum, Timberline, and other models
- the serial numbers have three components on the BB.
Tyymm - T=manufacturers letter, yy=two digits for the year of frame manufacture, mm= two digits for the month
#### - sequential number
aaaaaa - Letters and numbers for the GT model. varies in number of characters.

Although my 1993s still have this format, so maybe the number format changed during the year, whenever they move production.

I would like to collect all the letters and numbers for each model for each year.

kingoffootball":68rukgig said:
I would like to collect all the letters and numbers for each model for each year.

This could be a long task. You may need to go to other online forums to get more input.

You are probably aware of many of these forums, like forums.mtbr.com and bikeforums.net.

Back