BotM December 2018 - Flagship gruppos.....no thankyou!

raidan73

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
So we'll end 2018 with a special theme; I could've come up with a more catchy title but hey ho! I can't be bothered typing out a big list of restrictions so I'll stick mainly to groupsets. So, no XTR, no XT, no XC Pro, no Campy, no Paul, no Proshift……..hopefully you get the idea. I won't pull a bike with an Exage groupset just because it has an XT headset but let's try and keep things in the spirit of the theme. No limit on the number of entries this month so hopefully we'll get a bumper crop.

Useful for the poll if you can structure your nomination as follows:

username's Year Manufacturer Model , e.g. John's 1990 Kona Lavadome
Image(s) MAXIMUM OF 2
Finally please include a link to your machine in the relevant Reader's Bikes section. If you don't have an existing post now is the time to add one with as much detail as you like!

Nominations thread will run for the entire month. The poll will go up shortly after the nominations close and will run for a week.

Cool theme, Adrian. How about the early stuff? The Deer Head (Deore Deer Head) and the Suntour Mighty/Cyclone - the stuff from the days where it was no flagship line - it was just mtb, road or BMX

I don’t know Bjornar. I’m guessing that a lot of the bikes from the early to mid eighties that sported such groupsets would’ve been pretty expensive back then and are likely quite valuable today too. I’d say it’s a judgment call based on the bike being entered. For example, I feel an 83 Mantis or an 84 Salsa wouldn’t be entries in keeping with the theme ;)

Hmmm, sounds like a job for the Dawes. I just cleaned it too, will get some photos at the weekend.

Plenty of choice as most of my bikes are "second line warriors". Hope I can assemble ONE in time this month. :facepalm:

Edit: 25 days left to build a bike around this little thing.

Attachments

• scott.jpg
    scott.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 8,832
I'm in! I don't think I've ever entered this before, and still the bike I've done the most miles on (more than the Lotus...)

I give you, much Exage goodness!! My 1993 Kona Fire mountain. Full Exage (except the DX thumbies), low rent maguras (HS11), wire bead tyres, steel railed saddle.

One of only 2 bikes I know I'll NEVER sell.

Do I get bonus points for Cute Goggie pic? He's my bestest Bud.

And here's the story of why it's a true dream bike; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=343578

:)

Re:

Since she's never used it since I built it I'm considering it to still be mine, so I'll enter
Mr Ox's 1991 Ridgeback 702LX at least then it'll be doing something :LOL:
Long winded build thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366162

Attachments

• 702 lx 006 - Copy (2).JPG
    702 lx 006 - Copy (2).JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 8,613
  • 702 lx 004 - Copy.JPG
    702 lx 004 - Copy.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 8,613
Back