Date my Explosif?

DrNO

Dirt Disciple
Hello Retrobikers,

I'd like some help dating an Explosif i recently bought (for $125) here in Boston. I think it is a 1993 or 1994 model. It's got some of the original kit on it i believe including:

rock shox mag 21
xt front and rear mechs
suntour XC pro shifters
ritchey logic cantis.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

DrNO

Attachments

• Bikes 0052.jpg
    Bikes 0052.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Bikes 0112.jpg
    Bikes 0112.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,207
I think that is a 1996 frame mate, judging by this thread here ;)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38748

Its a gorgeous colour, love the old Kona colour with the metallic flakes in the paint!

Excellent bargain in any case, $125 = approx £65!!!

**EDIT**

bugger, its a 1994, the decals on the top tube are different to the one in that link i gave.... :oops:

I'm going back to sleep.....

See, knew that would happen, to be honest was torn between 94 and 96.

Nice bike in great nick too by the looks of it
I see one like that everyday on my way to work chained up in all weathers to some railings. Needs a good home really and to be given a bit of tlc

Thanks guys, i thought from the "mountain shock" decal on the top tube that it was a 1993. It has been meticulously maintained, and rides like a new bike.

Could anyone shed any light on whether the titec handlebar and velocity stem are original parts? I know the Thomson elite seatpost isn't - its brand new!

Phew, thought I was wrong yet again :)

The 93 were the two tone silver fade paint jobs, had a purple and silver Fire Mountain from that year

Velocity stem=Yes
Titec Bars=No

My two Kona's from that era had their own brand bars and seatpost

And yes an absolute bargain, good work. Are you going to take it back to the original spec?

Thanks Huntso. I don't think i'm going to restore in back to original spec (is that considered sacrilege here?) - My next decision is do i turn it into my everyday commuter or do hit the trails? - I don't think it's seen that much off-road action!

Deserves better than a commuter, bit of a thief magnet too I would reckon.

Treat it like a Klingon and let it die in battle, Sto'vo'kor awaits

Back