Syncros 89 or USE ti 89 advice

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is a seriously obsessive question but I am asking it in all (obsessive) seriousness....advice please

I have a Marin Ti 1989 which I am hanging onto - it had a USE ti seatpost installed in 1994 by me. It’s ti, the bars are ti (xlite), the bolts are ti everywhere, etc etc. I have just unearthed a 425mm series 1 Syncros post of the right 27.2 size which is 88/89 manufacture - the use clamp one with the hammer logo not the ‘Syncros down the side’ later model. The bike is not entirely 89 - for example pace rc35, lx v brake on front, xlite spun bar ends, since it was a full on race bike and was fitted out repeatedly whenever superior new things came out. The bike however was stored in 2000 and the mods had stopped by 96. Soooooo......which seatpost - Syncros or USE to make it as close to a uk race build of ‘89 on a team frame out of California?

Nice bike
I would fit the Syncros and stare while sipping hot cups of sweet tea.
Followed by refitting the Use Ti , Stare a while longer
Repeat For few more hours & more tea.
But i would leave the USE post in
Maybe buy new/old frame for the seatpost..
Not much help really .
carry on

Re:

Actually this is a very helpful response - the whole question has taken on a zen-like feeling and I think it needs tea and emotion to resolve, not reason......

I feel that the Ti USE post is at its rightful home after this period of time.
And to move it aside now seems wrong..
We can all hold hands after I've lit the tealights
ooommmmm
But you do have the problem of a spare Seatpost
I can only encourage you to buy another frame for it.
or go hide it for another 10 years

Re:

I know at least the ti is not seized in since it had a liberal smear of coppa slip on installation, all in accordance with the (maintenance) sermon on the mount (ain bike trail).

But you are speaking truth I think; it only seems right to leave it there.

Ommmmmmmmmm

well if you are going for an '89 build then i would say the Syncros, USE didnt make rigid posts until '91 :)

mark

Minifreak":2sebqrl8 said:
If it helps I’ll buy the Syncros post from you if it’s in good order ;)

damn, i forgot to add that bit to my reply :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

Now you’ve wrecked the balance of the yin and yang. I was nicely lodged in leaving the USE in. Now, some say Syncros some say USE - the fact that I can’t make up my mind was doing my head in and now you’ve all just further caused my mental health to deteriorate. It’s irresponsible, that’s what it is.

Seriously, the syncros is pretty special I think. I was going to sell it and was shocked by finding the last one up sold for 100 euros. And that meant I both thought about selling it (to contribute further to the boy’s build fund - he’ll need a full sus xc soon) and about keeping it since it’s so rare. God I’m doing it again....yes no yes no yes no.....

Back