Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:54 pm 
Old School Hero

Im not entirely sure where on the site to put this, apologies if it's all wrong..
I used to be able to resize images from my Mac in order to post on here in no time at all. I since have a newer laptop running High Sierra. I now seem completely incapable of fathoming how to perform what should in theory should be a simple operation. In preview where it is apparently done it gives me options for image sizes that bear no resemblance to the image size that the site requires. Can any techno people give me a clue or two in the language of a computing simpleton??
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Welcome to the RETRO internet :lol:

I use a really simple program on laptop like MS Paint to resize down to the 1024 max width, or on my iPhone is use an app called Resizer to perform the same resolution change or file size.

Then when in the Full Editor reply screen, click Choose File button, navigate to desired photo on your device,
hit OK/go.whatever, and the system will load it up - and will allocate a random file name if uploading from iOS or will give its original filename when uploading from PC (I can't describe what it does on Mac, sorry),
which will then appear in the Attachments box below the text editor.
Place cursor within text box to the location you want to load that image (or any other images which you highlight using dropdown menu,
then click 'Place Inline' button and it'll appear with teh BBCode for that image.

I recommend using the reply Preview function to see what your post will appear like, edit as necessary and then finally hit Submit to post.

There's also a link to a simplifies description of what I just typed, see my scrawled pen highlighting for the relevant buttons/links.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 27.92 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

Or use a file hosting site like Flickr and grab your hosted image's BBCode directly and paste that code into the forum text editor, and hit Submit.

It's the clunkiest, crappest system still in existence on the internet, and if only the man in charge - JOHN (!) - would pay for the forum upgrades we'd all have a simpler sytem and maybe get more active visitors here. :oops:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks for that. I’ll have a delve and will hopefully come out on top

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:20 pm 
Retro Guru

I have been using postimage which seems to work quite well, I prodominantly use my iPhone and iPad.

Someone said recently that if you email pics to your self (iPhone/iPad) when it asked what size, medium should work but I have not tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Resize to 512Kb or less and attach. I find 850 pixels on longest axis is usually OK.

You should be able to do this easily in Preview on your Mac OS. I'm running OS X El Capitan, not High Sierra so not completely up to date, though.

Alternatively use the Img tag above to link to a picture of anysize, as long as it has an address:
[img]insert-Image-URL-here[/img]

All the best,