Orange Aluminium O - Pics and Questions

8bitBarry

Retro Newbie
Hello all, first post here...

It's an Aluminium O, literally everything on it is circa 1992 as far as I know, except the upgrades I did to it this week.

They were extensive as the bike was in 'barn find' state after 15 years in my shed. Rusty chain, cassette... so I had the works done by a local bike shop as I haven't got all the tools - in the end it was an extensive bill - bottom bracket, all wheel bearings, all cables, all cable housings, middle chain ring, new tyres, new inner tubes and then it turns out the freehub was split....

Anyway, it now rides so beautifully, it's like a new bike again! So fast and quiet - I got rid of the heavy tires and bought some faster commuter / paths tyres and they're amazing. Anyway I have a few more questions -

Q. It has a grip shift gear change and its awful - what could I fit instead? I don't want a grip shift again, the under bar gear shifters.
Q. Handlebars - I was thinking about changing the handlebars for a slightly wider feel?
Q. Saddle - it's horrible! Nasty foam Specialized. I need a new one...

One thing I feel is the riding position leaves me facing downwards a little too much.

I don't mind having new components or go looking for older components, the spirit is still there anyway.

Here's some pictures..

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-09%20at%2016.41.38_zpsftdd3zzw.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-09%20at%2016.41.47_zpsfwgfmqsw.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-09%20at%2016.41.55_zpseix7u8vk.jpg

Re:

Great old Orange with some tasty parts. Glad you rescued it from a life in the shed. :cool:

As for your questions:

1- Any 7sp Shimano STI shifters should do the job. I’d be looking at XT, DX or m565 LX. Ask in the wanted section and someone will have what you want.

2- How wide are the bars? 580mm or there about? You can probably get ones to fit up to about 620mm but wider than that you will need a new stem too with a wider bar clamp size.

3- Get a Charge Spoon saddle. Cheap, comfy, easy to find. That or one of the cheap Turbo saddles Planet X had recently.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3so0xobd said:
Great old Orange with some tasty parts. Glad you rescued it from a life in the shed. :cool:

As for your questions:

1- Any 7sp Shimano STI shifters should do the job. I’d be looking at XT, DX or m565 LX. Ask in the wanted section and someone will have what you want.

2- How wide are the bars? 580mm or there about? You can probably get ones to fit up to about 620mm but wider than that you will need a new stem too with a wider bar clamp size.

3- Get a Charge Spoon saddle. Cheap, comfy, easy to find. That or one of the cheap Turbo saddles Planet X had recently.

The frame isn't int eh best of cosmetic condition, but who cares!

Ok - firstly thank you for the advice. I ordered a new seat from eBay, for £20, great start.
I will measure the bars and get back to you.
As for the shifters, am I looking for a brake lever and gear shifter combo? I've had a look on eBay for starters but I am unsure what I am buying and what the differences are.

Re:

If you are going to get the 'rapid fire' integrated shifters (under the bar levers), than get the 'push/pull' ones (ST -M095) rather than the push/push (M092) that preceeded them, as they were more prone to failure.

Dont get too confused by the shifters.

Early DX/ XT and XTR shifters are just terrible to use plus they can be expensive to buy. XTR is 8spd too.

There is a problem moving over to underbar shifters and thats the front mechs. They dont index too well between years and models so we could all tell you to find some only to then end up with terrible front shifting issues (its all in the cable pull per click, reach and leverage).

The easiest and simplest way for you could be using Deore thumbshifters such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-DEOR ... rk:10:pf:0

cheap, cheerful and seem to work for ever.

*these may also work as they are just before all the compact chainset changes and are pretty nice to use. Watch for worn brake lever pivots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deor ... rk:21:pf:0

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":3q0v5axj said:
Dont get too confused by the shifters.

Early DX/ XT and XTR shifters are just terrible to use plus they can be expensive to buy. XTR is 8spd too.

There is a problem moving over to underbar shifters and thats the front mechs. They dont index too well between years and models so we could all tell you to find some only to then end up with terrible front shifting issues (its all in the cable pull per click, reach and leverage).

The easiest and simplest way for you could be using Deore thumbshifters such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-DEOR ... rk:10:pf:0

cheap, cheerful and seem to work for ever.

*these may also work as they are just before all the compact chainset changes and are pretty nice to use. Watch for worn brake lever pivots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deor ... rk:21:pf:0

Thank you for your recommendations.

As I am not trying to recreate a museum piece, but this if more for fitness issues, would a set of modern shifters be an idea? Or am I going the wrong direction with this...?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The frame is too small for you, that's why you have riding position problems.

You have risers bars already and looking at ti putting your position even further forward. If it's for commuting and you like the bend of the bars, look at some cheap On-One Fleegle bars, I love mine. they will bring you position back a little bit.
The gripshift pare probably warn or not lubed properly (any picture of them or the front end setup ?), later ones like Sachs Neos or SRAM Attack full pipe are great for commuting, but if you don't want them, look for some STX/Alivio shifter, they're pretty much the best 7sp RapidFire shifter.
You'll need to rewire all the gears of course.

Most newer seats, like the Charge ones will need more seatpost out

Look after than crank, it's the most expensive (in the retro-market) part on that bike.

Back