Left Hand XT shifter problem

yakboy

Manitou Fan
Trying to set up early XT shifters on a project but the left hand shifter seems to have lost it's click. When attached to the brakes the fixing bolt isn't long enough to hold the shifter together but when the shifter is taken off the pod and the bolt is long enough to hold it tightly together but still no click. The large thumb lever pulls cable but it's just not engaging. I am a bit reluctant to take the shifter to bits as I've never had much luck with getting them back together properly. Any idea's or has the shifter had it

30610495827_6ae65b6f07_c.jpg

I think I had the same problem with my 8-speed LX shifter. The problem was hardened grease inside. I turned the bike upside down and removed the lower cover. after that I could see the mechanics and identified a small metal part, which was not moving freely and not engaging to some metal toothring. Just some WD-40, time and carful moving it and it worked! Please apologize my bad english, I'm still learning. I hope you understand everything and it will solve your problem!

Thanks for the reply. When I feel brave enough I will remove the lower cover and give it a go!!

Clean the old grease out with something quite brutal like brake cleaner then a coating with a light lube like gt85 seems to work well, you could try some white spray grease as an alternative as it’s likely to hang around longer than gt85.

Carl.

drcarlos":3fz3r6lb said:
Clean the old grease out with something quite brutal like brake cleaner then a coating with a light lube like gt85 seems to work well, you could try some white spray grease as an alternative as it’s likely to hang around longer than gt85.

Carl.
Cheers will do

Re:

Yeah loosen the unit & turn it around the bar so you can work on it from the top, as the guys said it's only hard grease stopping it from working.. :idea:

Re:

Lobo +1.

WD-40 has worked for me. And IME, its never damaged any of the plasyic like brake cleaner can.

brake cleaner should be fine, don't use carb cleaner if there is any plastic in anything.
I clean themn and then soak them in synthetic engine oil, I have plenty of it, then let
them drain a bit and they should be all clicky again.
As for the bolt being short, have you got the dowels located properly?

You can take the phillips screws out and remove all the plastic without
ending up with the shifter mechanism in bit's.

Back