pictures of Kona 1994

Fjodor

Retro Newbie
Hi. Was bored yeasterday and goofed around on the internet and came across Retrobike. Sitting there dreaming over your bikes I remembered I put a bike on the loft several years ago. Today I went up there and found a Kona Exsplosif. I bought it in 98 and it was then 4 years old and in bad shape. The suspension fork broke right away and the bike was never used after. I,for some reason, paid £400 for it and didn`t have the funds to fix it then.. Is this a bike I should get fixed now or is it just a waist? It`s a 16" frame I think and I`m 170cm so it`s maybe a little small for me. I was wondering if it came with the suspesion fork or a fixed one when it was new? I`m thinking of getting a rigid fork and having it repainted.

Welcome. A mid-90s Explosif is definitely worth fixing up. High quality frame/ride.

If it is a 1994 it would probably have had a 'suspension corrected frame', designed to run either a suspension fork or a rigid fork of 41 cm axle to crown. There are some true Kona gurus on this forum (I'm not one) who can keep you right and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless the paint is really (and I mean really) awful I'd personally be loathe to repaint. Clean and T-cut and spend the money on a nice fork and the cables, bearings etc that you'll likely need to have it running nice.

A rigid P2 (Project 2) fork is a standard. Get the triple butted version - lovely and light. If you want a bouncy fork a Marzocchi Bomber Z2s is a good option but they tend to be costly and I'm currently seeking one so on second thought they are damned awful and to be avoided at all costs ; )

You'd be within the height range for a 16" Kona, but near the top end. However, stem length, rise etc can all be tweaked to get a good fit.

Get some pics up!

Inspiration here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19592

Cheers

Re:

Thanks. The bike is now at a local shop. He advised me not to do anything to the frame as he tought it was cooler orignial. He did So I`ll probably give it a clearcoat to preserve it. The repair-guy said it looked origninal and the suspension fork probably original. Only modification he could se was the rear breaks. I`ll go back tomorrow and se if he thinks he can fix the old fork.

Back