Is this a GT Psyclone?

debrisslide

Retro Newbie
Hi there, just looking at this on a local auction site, seller claims it is a Psyclone but I’m not sure. I am sure however there is enough expertise here to tell me what it is. From my research I don’t think it is but someone may be able to say straight off the bat. The seat tube and stays are curious and it looks like most Psyclone frames did not have a built in seat collar release? Cheers, Chris

Attachments

• F91ED3FB-55C1-4199-8A5B-D81EBCB977A9.jpeg
    F91ED3FB-55C1-4199-8A5B-D81EBCB977A9.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 494
I'd say no, where the top tube meets the seat tube, the psyclone (or cyclone depending on year) looks all wrong... but most telling while the psyclone does have eyeltes of racks, they only seemed to come with one on the dropout, this has 2 on the dropout and then chainstay ones as well... its a much...much cheaper frame.

I'd even go so far as to say its not a GT, but something else like a shogun or something that used the hellenic design.

Yeah my thoughts too! All the research I did suggested the same conclusion. I have never seen a GT without the end cap and this thing has a gusset round the seat tube which I never saw before. Disappointing because I really need a Psyclone to go with my Xizang and Zaskar LE!

This has been on trademe for months, dropouts are all wrong, eyelets are wrong and a heap of other stuff. I did the same homework ages ago.

Re:

Is it me, or does the front fork look like it might have come into contact with an immovable object at some point?

Re: Re:

Johnboy":1x3svo7g said:
Is it me, or does the front fork look like it might have come into contact with an immovable object at some point?
Definitely.
Likely not a Psyclone, but that's an FTW stem for sure ;)

Re:

There were some early gts without the end cap, but whether this is one? Apollo used the triple triangle too.

I don't think Apollo used u brakes, they might have been later to the triple triangle trend. Shotgun had cable stops, not the tube under the top tube, and their u brakes were on chainstays. Possibly.

Back