Crank arm removal

kalex

Retro Guru
I've got a suntour xc Ltd crank that I need to remove but it just isn't having it.

I'm trying to remove the drive side arm and while trying with the proper tool it was that stubborn it messed up all the threads that the tool screws in to. Saying that I think they weren't in the best condition anyway.

So with that the correct removal tool is ruled out and I tried some pulley pullers but with it being a 5 finger spider the 3 pulling arms won't locate.

I'm as good as certain that these cranks have never been removed in all these years so I'd appreciate any useful help to get them off.

Hi, people use all sorts of methods.

If the bike is still together just ride around on it for a bit and it will fall off, wont take long, if the bike is in bits just tap the crank back and forth, from the front and back, until it falls off, same effect as above. Worked for me every time. The bb spindle is tapered so isnt a complete contact, just needs a bit of wobbling and it will go loose, fairly quick.

Re:

The bikes in bits and this is the last thing now, I don't want to damage it as I just want to remove the inner chainrings.

I have found online some cheap small pulley pullers I may try.

I have removed similar cranks albeit years ago with pulley pullers and presumed it was these I'd already got, but after the bother I had this morning I think I must have borrowed some others as that's the only explanation

You only need tap the arm with a rubber mallet near the pedal hole from the front, towards the bike, then from behind, away from the bike, until you loosen it, no other tools needed :)

Re:

Er.......I know this may sound silly, and you may have checked this, but this often can be a case of the crank bolt being removed but the WASHER being still in the crank recess. This then means that the puller can’t pull the crank off since it’s pushing against the washer and not the end of the axle. That then causes the threads to strip in the crank and sometimes the puller to be wrecked. Been there, done that, in moments of lack of focus. Do check that.....might not be it at all, but important to check....

Re:

I can see where your coming from and easy to do but this the washer came out with the bolt.

In hindsight I should have waited 10 mins after my original posting time as up till then I had only been searching pulley pullers, if I'd have see gear pullers I would have seen that these come in a lot smaller version than I'd been trying to use and I think it will do the job when I get one.

Re:

drat, washer in would have been a quick fix.

I have had to file some pullers so that the jaws can get behind the crank boss and get good purchase. On a couple of my bikes there’s absolutely no way to get puller arms behind the crank end since I have used very short BBs to get a low Q and good chain line.

Lots of wd40, leave overnight. If you have access to one a blow titec would also help, heat up the crank arm to help loosen the grime holding it on.

Re:

I did use heat when after my first attempt with removal tool but didn't help.

After a few goes I thought it was coming off as the body of the tool was moving towards me but in fact it was the threads that gave way on the crank arm

Boiling water on the crank arm then immediately after spray 'Air Duster' from a can held upside down on the BB spindle, then whack it with a rubber mallet from behind, this mixed with GT85 spray should do it. Works for me and believe me I've had some tough ones.

Or all of the above and rebuild it and ride it around for an hour on rough terrain (Don't go far from home thought hehe)

Back