Need some help on identifying this steel Stumpjumper

jorgos

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

it has been a long time since I posted here :D . Got the retro bike virus again. Bought me a steel Stumpjumper. I hope someone here can help me identifying it. I checked a lot of sites and brochures but I haven't found 'my' bike.

What I did found out already is:

- this bike has been stripped off its original parts and was refitted with mainly basic shizzle. That will be removed ;-)
- I discovered underneath the lock mount a face forward "S", on many StumpJumpers, the "S" is on the side
- I haven't found a serial number yet, not on the BB, not underneath the cable guides on the BB, not on the rear wheel mounts. Very strange
- Besides the "S" on the front of the bike (underneath the stem) and seat tube, the Specialized and Stumpjumper decals, there are no decals on the bike.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Re:

Its nice, has potential for a sympathetic rebuild.

I'm by no means an expert, but my guess would be towardsd the end of steel production Stumpys - perhaps 95/96. The threaded headset would seem to suggest no later.
Based purely on the above, plus graphics and apparent lack of canti noodle.

I don't recall seeing a black one from that era before though, perhaps it was a run out or Euro spec model. I expect someone else will come along and know for sure.

Re:

Looks like a canti mount out back. I've only owned one of these so no expert, but there should be a serial number.

Not saying it is the case here, but decals are easy to come by. Maybe the lure of silver decals was an attempt to pimp the ride?

What diameter is the headset. Size will help identify a year more closely. My old one had a 1 inch headset, which put it as an early 90s one.

I had a 91 Stumpjumper FS and the graphics and style of that frame is very similar looking - colours are off though. In Canada/US they did a fully rigid one in 91 that was pink/purple. That one might be a couple of years later. Earlier they had the two tone paint jobs - white and teal. White and pink. I recall the stumpy going aluminum fairly quickly after I got mine.

They ran steel up to at least 96 I think. Possibly beyond, ALU seemed to take marketing precedence though

Re:

Sadly, I don't think that is a Stumpjumper.. at a glance too many details seem off to me :?

Any chance of some images of the rear dropouts and seat cluster? Early 90's versions have a integrated seat collar which is easy to spot. Head tube should also be 1" on all but the very late models :)

Re:

^^^ what he said.

Lack of seat collar suggests that it is not a Stumpie. I'm not even sure it is a Specialized. I'd weigh the frameset - that'll give you an idea of tubing quality.

SP

In hindsight, yeah, the head tube length is also too long, particularly for an earlier stumpy

Hi all,

thank your for your help so far. I'm sorry but I wasn't able to respond earlier.

Is it fake or not?
I haven't seen fake Specialized but that means there aren't fakes around.
The logo's are professional painted, no sloppy stickers or sh*tty paint job.
It was a meltpot of parts from different groups, all of basic, entry level hardware. Someone has had fun building this bike together ;-)

For those interested, I made some more (no pro) pictures. Maybe they will give you a better insight. Please let me know, thanks!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtvhNS9

30950931337_ac248fb2f2_b.jpg

32018877648_8abe42aafc_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back