Chris King Headset Removal

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
So I wanted to remove my CK headset, realised I couldn’t via trying and then google.
I understand there is a special tool, but I dont really want to buy one as I doubt I’ll ever invest in another headset once this is off.

So as per the many posts suggested, I took it to my LBS and felt a bit daft as the guy explained how I remove a headset via the locking nuts. I told him about Chris King headsets being special and needing a unique tool, and he just said he’d never heard of “Chris King” headsets or any that needed a special tool.

So I’m thinking am I the special tool? :)

Any advice? Otherwise it’ll stay on the Kona

A) if he's never heard of Chris King, i'd possibly be looking for a new LBS. They are one of the better known aftermarket brands in the industry. Like Hope, but more expensive and American.
B) Is it a headset or an Aheadset? One uses headset spanners and a headset removal drift ( http://www.wiggle.se/park-tool-universa ... gerskalar/ ) the other uses allen keys (to remove the stem) and the same drift. Technically it is a "special tool". But not that special. You can make one out of a foot of pipe. You'll also need a crown race/base plate removal tool, unless your headset has a split race/plate. You can manage without both of these if you have a steady hand and a lot of patience.

Pic of said headset:

Not sure which type it is... it has two bits on top, but neither seem to do much

And yes that’s what I thought about the LBS too.....

Attachments

• 252BA63B-FB5C-4134-A664-C4FD4C0238AA.jpeg
    252BA63B-FB5C-4134-A664-C4FD4C0238AA.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 493
Both the top nuts need loosening and then removing, after which the forks will drop out leaving you with the two races left in the frame, top n bottom. they are the ones that need drifting out carefully, some people use large screwdrivers, which is fine if you no longer intend to use it. A plain pin punch will suffice with care and rotating where you hit the race from inside the head tube. The race left on the fork will come off with care and using a sharp ended wedge drift.

Re:

I'd be more worried about the whole set up...

Looks like a Ahead stem on what appears to be a threaded fork, I'm guessing there is an adaptor bolted in the top of the fork?

Who told you it needed a special tool?

First thing is to take the stem off which hopefully is on an adapter like gil says!? if it is you need to remove that too.

As for the headset if you look on the top it should say 2nut or gripnut. if its a 2nut you need to hold the bottom nut while loosening the top one, if a gripnut just loosen the top one as its all one part, just looks like two nuts. The cups need a headset removal tool ideally so as to not damage the cups, you can use other methods but they are not dear compared to a new CK.

I think the man at the shop meant he had never heard of any headset, including CK that needed a special tool.

Get the stem off, post another pic and someone on here will always talk you through any job, big or small :D

mark

Re: Re:

gil_m":12u7gc0l said:
I'd be more worried about the whole set up...

Looks like a Ahead stem on what appears to be a threaded fork, I'm guessing there is an adaptor bolted in the top of the fork?

You’re right the fork is threaded but has a quill adaptor with obviously a non threaded portion. I’ll drop it and take a look tomorrow
[edit - can confirm it’s a grip nut!]

/me files under "Things you never thought you'd hear from a bike shop" (Never heard of Chris King) What a c0ck!

Glad to see plenty of advice given here. And I'm glad to get some info on the difference between a 2-nut and grip nut. I was sort of too embarrassed to ask. I'm still not sure which type mine is, but I plan on checking next time i dig it out!

Back