Fire Mountain Quandry: Use as is, restore or sell frame

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
So I bought this simply amazing creation:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=387888&p=2873535&sid=3b319c74b70b0fed0e1bb5b4bb454c8f#p2873535

All BMX bits, red, blue and XTR... and since I don’t ride BMXs not like the multi coloured look... I’ve sold many of those parts and the front mech while I had the cables off for a clean.

So now I’m looking at what’s left and bear in mind the bike had had its seat and wheels stolen, so only came with some terrible pound shop rims. So really I’m left with a frame, forks, not even a stem, a rear mech that’s too good for the bike, blue brakes, and a crankset with aftermarket (modern) rings.

So to my mind just the frame and forks....

So I could sell both of those for Enough to get a cassette for my 1x11 project, or build it back up with some spare bits and bobs... but it won’t have the original stem, seat post or seat as these seem to cost quite a bit.

Plus to ever be really nice it needs a respray and new decals as these have all but gone.

I guess I’m looking at £100 to make it “period” and of a good finish. Or a bit of time and effort to get it running and totally useable.

What should I do :)

Attachments

• 6E14476C-1CDD-49F0-9FFD-C0D3E1A95063.jpeg
    6E14476C-1CDD-49F0-9FFD-C0D3E1A95063.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 665
Hmm good point.
I very much enjoy riding my Marin (which isn’t exactly top of the range) so I reckon I would/might. Especially since I realised i need a road biases bike, a soft “downhill” bike and a XC (towpath) bike which the Marin nicely satisfies

But until I do ride it, I’ll never know!

Depends on whether enjoyment would be in the riding or the ownership. The latter can cost you plenty and can lead to madness and collecting perfect but un-ridden bikes.

The Kona might work well as your proposed 'road biased' bike with slick or semi slick tyres. Wheels could be swapped from another bike so you could avoid new wheels for now until you decide if you like it. If you're use the thumbies on friction mode indexing won't isn't an issue with wheel swaps.

Good point with friction mode John!

In honesty, it’s not going to take a lot to get her back up and running.
Plus the FM has a shorter top tube so as you say might be more suited to touring on semi slicks

doesnt have to be original, or even period to enjoy it :)

Currently on the wall with my other donor, I have enough parts to make it run... but will I?

Attachments

• 92BAE90D-4673-4AD4-89BA-EAEAB7623399.jpeg
    92BAE90D-4673-4AD4-89BA-EAEAB7623399.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 482
I can do you a complete almost original black version of the 92 Fire Mountain with good paint if you fancy it, same size as yours and cheaper than £100

Latest posts

Back