buying a bike for a single part?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A step too far?

I've seen a complete bike (relatively high end, and appears pretty tidy) that has a single component that makes me want to buy it.

I suspect that to buy the part alone (rarely seen for sale, and I DO have a use in mind for it) would cost the same as the whole bike is going for, and with a nice mix of 1994 parts on the bike in question, could maybe end up being 'cheap'...

Sacrilege?

Discuss.

If you need that one part, why not.
And I’m sure you can sell on the bike if it’s not what you want.
Interested in the part.

Yes if you want the part bad enough ,
chances are if you strip the bike for parts to sell
your make a profit or get the wanted part for free..
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I know plenty that have, there is the argument that if its all original then it should stay together. A lot of bikes nowadays are made up of parts sourced and non original.

At the end of the day its your choice, and you that has to live with the fact that in 10yrs time the bike in question could be worth many thousands if only it had all original parts still on it :)

mark

for splatter paint, yes, it's an unusual OEM part, that is typically in demand when offered for sale, the bike itself, not so much, although it is mainly original.

it wasn't a cheap bike BITD, full XT, 23lb and had a price tag of over £2k... came with a flite as standard!

Re:

Common practise if you really need something. Prob is a lot of those bikes are in the US.

People keep saying 'need'... :LOL: :LOL:

There's no 'Need', it's all WANT!!

I don't think anyone would cry over the bike, and the part would be headed for my San Andreas, surely that's a worthy cause?

Back