Is my bike good enough?

Eggman

Retro Newbie
Hi.
I have a Scott Blackstone mountain bike from the late 1990s. I really like it, and have ridden many long distances off road, so I am vey used to handling a rigid bike. Quite soon I am going mountain biking with a friend. My friend says I will need to hire a different bike for this, as mine is "not good enough". Is this true, or will I be alright? Who else rides a rigid bike when mountain biking, and has had a good experience? Any tips?
Thanks.

Really depends on the terrain you are riding plenty of us ride old ridged bikes and we seem to cope on them. The bonus with using your own bike is you know it inside out and if its normal XC stuff you will probably be ok.
However if your mate is taking you on more hard core riding having suspension will be a bonus.

As above. It depends on the terrain you are riding. I tend to ride with a rigid bike more often than with suspension but that's just the way I like it.

Try riding with your friend on the bike you have and if you can't take the bumps without getting a sore backside or shattering your spine then maybe look at adding front suspension.

I have been riding rigid frames since 1988 so don't be swayed by all these modernists saying that you HAVE to have full suspension, as this is simply not true.

Ride what you want and where you want. The most important thing is that you enjoy it and keep yourself safe.

Best of luck.

I second this. But even in rocky/rooty sections where suspension will add a plus of comfort it all.comes down to line choice and speed. I would argue that execpt from designated enduro/downhill stuff you will be fine on yours.

Enjoy :)

Thanks for all these great responses. I think I'll just give it a go, as Trebz advised. What's the point in spending more money on hiring a bike, when I've got a perfectly usable one already? :)
I usually have pannier racks and other accessories on my bike, which I'll remove.

A fully rigid bike will go anywhere a full sus bike will go.

The fully rigid bike will take a lot more 'riding'.
It wont be as comfortable over bumps and corrugations.
26 inch wheels will drop further into bumps and holes.

You may be slower on rough sections, you may find your rigid bike with narrow tyres more efficient in some places too.

We all used to do it on fully rigid bikes. You will be fine, ride according to conditions (including how your brakes will respond when wet and muddy) so you don't crash into your disc braked friends.

Re:

I can ride nearly everything on my solid bike that I ride on my modern kit. The exception being down hill drop offs which I choose to walk, as I can then keep paint and skin still attached. More to the point I have as much fun on my 26 year old bike as the newer stuff. Enjoy your ride.

If the place you are going has facilities to hire bikes there is a 50:50 chance you are going somewhere slightly extreme?

Bike Park Wales (Might want to hire a bike to make the most of the facilities. Most of them are downhill runs.)
or
Cannock Chase (80+% of the facilities are rideable on a CX bike, so maybe no need to rent.)

Rigid is cool. You know what your tyres are doing 100% of the time. Susser forks just separate you from the ground. Yes on some rides i get beaten up. But i can handle it and sense of joy at relaxing and the end of a ride is second to none. It's a bicycle at the end of the day. The engine is a human being. It doesn't go as fast as a internal combustion engine. So the design needs are different. Riding a heavy fat mtb is hell. A light nimble bicycle is a joy to ride. If you want to ride faster get fitter. Forget the 29/27.5 front/rear suspension etc we are told to buy . Get fit and your 26er V brake will pass the modern.

Re:

Maybe just hire a bike for the day? Won't cost very much, who knows, you might find you really like a bit of suspension?
It might be the epiphany that starts a new genre of bike ownership?

Back