Pace 1" stem steerer conundrum

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Have a PACE 1" one piece stem fitted to the fabled purple F2.

Now I'm convinced that the length of the stem steerer is for an 18" and not a 19" - hence the serious lack of steerer that's inserted into the crown of the RC35. See pic below:

Now this aesthetically looks ok but is pretty dangerous to ride and its bothering me now. So was thinking of simply reducing the stack height of the top headset race (which unfortunately happens to be one of the cool milled out Mavic ones that Pace did at the time prior to ahead stems). If I reduce the top headset race to a lower stack height Ahead-style one (CK 1" perhaps or an XT) I will gain about 1.5cm of steerer into the crown.

Thoughts?

Sounds good sense, especially as it's all reversible. There is no fun in riding sometihng you don't trust implicitly. Shimano never made aheadsets, so you would also need the M-Part converter.

Personally I'd pick a Campagnolo Record headset - superbly made, stunningly good value and the lower race has grease ports for maintenance, wihch is a big advantage on a fiddly setup like the Pace.

doesnt the steerer have a circlip/washer at its base to stop the steerer being pulled up through the crown!? wouldnt it be better to get a longer one?

mark

Answer: RARE. There is little to no chance of getting a longer one as these are 1 piece steerer stem assembles that are welded together. These go together differently than the normal 1" steerer and tighten down from the bottom of the crown. It was an early PACE design that uses an essentially ahead-style non threaded top headset race.

See pic of what one looks like...

Attachments

• 36925701_10157258609557119_5924796342747529216_n.jpg
    36925701_10157258609557119_5924796342747529216_n.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 384
hamster":2m04zaw0 said:
Sounds good sense, especially as it's all reversible. There is no fun in riding sometihng you don't trust implicitly. Shimano never made aheadsets, so you would also need the M-Part converter.

Personally I'd pick a Campagnolo Record headset - superbly made, stunningly good value and the lower race has grease ports for maintenance, wihch is a big advantage on a fiddly setup like the Pace.

I only need the top headset part really (bottom race is fine). Do you know if the Campag record top cups are short?

Ah... just checked - is this the one you mention:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... rCode=CAMP

jez-4-bikes-max":2w556yzn said:
Answer: RARE. There is little to no chance of getting a longer one as these are 1 piece steerer stem assembles that are welded together. These go together differently than the normal 1" steerer and tighten down from the bottom of the crown. It was an early PACE design that uses an essentially ahead-style non threaded top headset race.

See pic of what one looks like...

Ah, i see, I have never seen one for sale before, or realised it was infact one peice, very nice and can see your problem now.

Re:

A Shimano headset has a much lower stack height.
I have a Shimano 600 headset that I have milled out to use on a threadless steerer in my road bike. It took seconds to do and has been 100% reliable for 5 years.
This is exactly what Pace did on their Shimano headsets.

As it stands there's only about 50% of the normal contact surface between the stem and crown. and the leverage at the bottom edge will be large and the crown will be subject to some additional twisting forces.

At least needs a short 1" plug to make up the length difference, but given that your steerer/stem combo isn't chromed, it would be easy to extend the lower end of the steerer as it would be well supported by the crown.
An extension of the correct length could simply be brazed (with an internal sleeve) or welded on and the 'star nut' fitting replicated on the end.

Alternatively, I could make you a repro new one the right length ;) :

All the best,

Attachments

• PB253223.JPG
    PB253223.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 341
Re:

Should have a Pace "ahead" Campag headset, certainly have Mavic ones but need to check Campag ;)

Back