Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am 
Old School Grand Master

Have a PACE 1" one piece stem fitted to the fabled purple F2.

Now I'm convinced that the length of the stem steerer is for an 18" and not a 19" - hence the serious lack of steerer that's inserted into the crown of the RC35. See pic below:

Now this aesthetically looks ok but is pretty dangerous to ride and its bothering me now. So was thinking of simply reducing the stack height of the top headset race (which unfortunately happens to be one of the cool milled out Mavic ones that Pace did at the time prior to ahead stems). If I reduce the top headset race to a lower stack height Ahead-style one (CK 1" perhaps or an XT) I will gain about 1.5cm of steerer into the crown.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 am 
Old School Grand Master

Sounds good sense, especially as it's all reversible. There is no fun in riding sometihng you don't trust implicitly. Shimano never made aheadsets, so you would also need the M-Part converter.

Personally I'd pick a Campagnolo Record headset - superbly made, stunningly good value and the lower race has grease ports for maintenance, wihch is a big advantage on a fiddly setup like the Pace.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am 
Old School Grand Master

doesnt the steerer have a circlip/washer at its base to stop the steerer being pulled up through the crown!? wouldnt it be better to get a longer one?

mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 am 
Old School Grand Master

Answer: RARE. There is little to no chance of getting a longer one as these are 1 piece steerer stem assembles that are welded together. These go together differently than the normal 1" steerer and tighten down from the bottom of the crown. It was an early PACE design that uses an essentially ahead-style non threaded top headset race.

See pic of what one looks like...

Attachments:
36925701_10157258609557119_5924796342747529216_n.jpg
36925701_10157258609557119_5924796342747529216_n.jpg [ 67.79 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 am 
Old School Grand Master

hamster wrote:
Sounds good sense, especially as it's all reversible. There is no fun in riding sometihng you don't trust implicitly. Shimano never made aheadsets, so you would also need the M-Part converter.

Personally I'd pick a Campagnolo Record headset - superbly made, stunningly good value and the lower race has grease ports for maintenance, wihch is a big advantage on a fiddly setup like the Pace.

I only need the top headset part really (bottom race is fine). Do you know if the Campag record top cups are short?

Ah... just checked - is this the one you mention:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... rCode=CAMP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

jez-4-bikes-max wrote:
Answer: RARE. There is little to no chance of getting a longer one as these are 1 piece steerer stem assembles that are welded together. These go together differently than the normal 1" steerer and tighten down from the bottom of the crown. It was an early PACE design that uses an essentially ahead-style non threaded top headset race.

See pic of what one looks like...

Ah, i see, I have never seen one for sale before, or realised it was infact one peice, very nice and can see your problem now.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:41 pm 
Retro Guru

A Shimano headset has a much lower stack height.
I have a Shimano 600 headset that I have milled out to use on a threadless steerer in my road bike. It took seconds to do and has been 100% reliable for 5 years.
This is exactly what Pace did on their Shimano headsets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

As it stands there's only about 50% of the normal contact surface between the stem and crown. and the leverage at the bottom edge will be large and the crown will be subject to some additional twisting forces.

At least needs a short 1" plug to make up the length difference, but given that your steerer/stem combo isn't chromed, it would be easy to extend the lower end of the steerer as it would be well supported by the crown.
An extension of the correct length could simply be brazed (with an internal sleeve) or welded on and the 'star nut' fitting replicated on the end.

Alternatively, I could make you a repro new one the right length :wink: :

Attachment:
PB253223.JPG
PB253223.JPG [ 90.96 KiB | Viewed 246 times ]

All the best,

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 pm 
Sticker Master
Sticker Master

Should have a Pace "ahead" Campag headset, certainly have Mavic ones but need to check Campag :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 am 
Old School Grand Master

jez-4-bikes-max wrote:
I only need the top headset part really (bottom race is fine). Do you know if the Campag record top cups are short?

Ah... just checked - is this the one you mention:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... rCode=CAMP

Yep, that's the one. I can measure later today.