PayPal payment help required

tonybrown5

Retro Guru
Hi all,
I have a potential buyer in Italy for my Litespeed Obed frame. He wants to pay via paypal which is fine but is asking me to raise a payment request to him rather than do it through a friends payment.
In theory this is fine, it protects him with a large payment and I don't send the frame. However, I'm also well aware of just how much of a PITA PayPal can be when it comes with siding with buyers and removing funds for various issues that they make up - numerous examples of fraudsters etc from E-bay as an example.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this. I totally understand the buyer feeling nervous about sending payment via friends and me just running off but I'm equally nervous about losing the frame and my money.

Re:

Make sure you take detailed pics of the frame and packaging before posting. Insure the package to full value. If there are any issues, you'll have evidence of condition and packaging.

Good advise above

Plus make sure you put an old hub or a proper spacer in the rear drop outs to protect them from side impacts

Paypal protects sellers more than buyers, people presume it protects buyers mainly due to using it through ebay. Ebay protects the buyer.

What you need to do, i could tell you but its best if you just look so you get it right and understand it yourself, is look at what you need to do to qualify for Paypal Seller Protection. Its a few simple rules you need to follow to be eligible for the protection, things you should do anyway if sending something valuable but what you have to do to qualify. If you dont do these you will not be eligible and they will not cover you.

One thing i will add is when shipping abroad, and sometimes just using the currency conversion, that the rules/regs can change, so make sure you look that part up as well.

I think you will be fine and follow some of the advice above regarding packing. It cant be too over protected.

mark

Re:

As said make sure you photograph everything including packaging just in case. The buyers right to want to not go through friends and family options however PayPal unfortunately does favour the buyer and not the seller. I was rinsed when selling a complete bike a few years ago and unfortunately lost half of the sale. Make sure you document it all and you’ll be in a best position.

Does the buyer have anybody at all in this country you can send it to? This is what I did with full bike to Poland. My liability ended there in London. It was shipped on at buyer’s expense and risk.

Re:

Also if using paypal, make sure to keep your shipping receipt for 6 months. A claim of non shipment can be made for up to 6 months. Ask me how I know...

I also remove funds as soon as they are deposited into my paypal account, and only add my CC when I need to buy something and do not have the account linked to a bank account to prevent these from being frozen or charged back.

Re: Re:

donk":15lzx0dl said:
Also if using paypal, make sure to keep your shipping receipt for 6 months. A claim of non shipment can be made for up to 6 months. Ask me how I know...

I also remove funds as soon as they are deposited into my paypal account, and only add my CC when I need to buy something and do not have the account linked to a bank account to prevent these from being frozen or charged back.

How do you remove funds if not linked to a bank account?

Your account needs to be verified for Seller Protection which prevents chargebacks etc so needs to be linked!?

Back