1995 Kona Hei Hei

santoscdn

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Interesting story to share here. I recently bought a used bike from a garage sale. The owner was selling the bike because he wasn't using it anymore. He kept saying that it was a great bike back in the days. The bike had no decals or anything on it, except for the Kona seatpost clamp (and the characteristic sloping tube). When I asked the owner about the bike, he wasn't sure about the brand, model or anything. He just insisted it was a great bike with an aluminum frame.
I ended up buying the bike for $150, as I was after the Manitou 3 fork. When I got home and stripped the frame down I had the feeling that the frame was not aluminum: extremely light and did not feel (or sound) like aluminum at all. So after browsing online and checking catalogues and pictures, I am pretty sure I scored a 1995 Kona Hei Hei. The serial number is B19860. Weight is 1.650 (3.10lbs).

Can anyone here confirm if this one is indeed a 1995 Kona Hei Hei?

Unfortunately, the frame is a bit large for me, so I am thinking about selling. Does anyone know how much this frame is worth?

The frame is in very good shape except for a dent in the horizontal tube.

Thanks

Attachments

• _DSC8721.jpg
    _DSC8721.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • _DSC8734.jpg
    _DSC8734.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,017
  • _DSC8738.jpg
    _DSC8738.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • _DSC8739.jpg
    _DSC8739.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • _DSC8743.jpg
    _DSC8743.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • _DSC8749.jpg
    _DSC8749.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,016
Re:

100% a Hei Hei.
I’ll send you the $150 if you can post to England please..!

Re:

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

That is indeed an interesting story and something that the rest of us continually hope for. To find a rare bike under those circumstances, and get it for such a bargain price :shock: – is that $150 Canadian Dollars? I make that £88GBP!

As Mat says, the frame is a Hei Hei, and I would say that it is a 1995 model with the slightly shorter Seat Tube extension - it is a 19". The Decals are usually Gold, but they also came in White.

Stock example in Gold:

95 Hei Hei 19 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

If you would like to know its' value, it will need to be posted in this section:

viewforum.php?f=78

Pip.

Re: Re:

MatBH5":1jars1xf said:
100% a Hei Hei.
I’ll send you the $150 if you can post to England please..!

I am going to try to sell locally first. Thanks for the offer though!

Re: Re:

pipmeister":cn94p8bv said:
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

That is indeed an interesting story and something that the rest of us continually hope for. To find a rare bike under those circumstances, and get it for such a bargain price :shock: – is that $150 Canadian Dollars? I make that £88GBP!

As Mat says, the frame is a Hei Hei, and I would say that it is a 1995 model with the slightly shorter Seat Tube extension - it is a 19". The Decals are usually Gold, but they also came in White.

Stock example in Gold:

95 Hei Hei 19 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

If you would like to know its' value, it will need to be posted in this section:

viewforum.php?f=78

Pip.

Yes, 150 Canadian dollars. I will post in that section asking for its value.

Thanks for your response.

Clean it up and use some fine grade wire wool to remove scratches, Will come up looking lovely, fit decals (sales@retrodecals.co.uk) (Gill will sort you some)

Please sell this to an enthusiast who will look after it. you are one lucky guy finding this.

If you are prepared to ship around the world you will get a very healthy return on your $150

Re:

I wouldn’t pay anything for a dented frame, wouldn’t even want it for price of postage (Just thought i’d add another point of view to this thread!).

Good for you though if you consider the other parts worth the price you paid.

baznap":2sitjy0d said:
Clean it up and use some fine grade wire wool to remove scratches, Will come up looking lovely, fit decals (sales@retrodecals.co.uk) (Gill will sort you some)

Please sell this to an enthusiast who will look after it. you are one lucky guy finding this.

If you are prepared to ship around the world you will get a very healthy return on your $150

Thanks so much for your response. I been cleaning the frame with a very fine Scotch-Brite pad and the frame looks amazing already. I am on the process of getting decals. Will share pictures of the frame when I am done with it.

Cheers

Thanks so much for your response. I been cleaning the frame with a very fine Scotch-Brite pad and the frame looks amazing already. I am on the process of getting decals. Will share pictures of the frame when I am done with it.

Cheers[/quote]

Im looking forward to seeing it. Are you going to keep it or sell it?

Back