Bike path question

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I need another opinion about a situation which seems to be getting worse.

When I’ve not too much time to ride properly or just want a fitness ride I ride along a local canal towpath which is part of the transpenine way. It’s a minute away from my house so ideal for a quick 20 mile or more blast.

So basically the issue ...... the path starts as one , and then splits into two. The lower path is sign posted as cyclists/ horses and the other upper path as walkers . Both paths head in the same direction and are separated by maybe 2-3 meters at most. The walking path is narrow and more scenic as it follows the canal itself whilst the cycling one is shaded by trees and not much to look at.

I’ve noticed over the last few years more and more walkers use the cycling path which has now got to the point where you are constantly having to slow down or even stop for dogs , children , scooters and even groups walking 4wide. The walking path has nobody on it or maybe 1 or two people at most. Its frustratiing as I’m technically in the correct place but the walkers seem to think I’m in the wrong and don’t move. I’ve fitted a bell and it seems to cause offence more than get them to move. I must point out that anyone who moves or grabs their dog I always say thanks as I go past.

So last night I tried the walking path for the first time. Came across maybe 2 people who i passed slowly but I could tell they didn’t like me being there on the bike. (Which is technically correct as I shouldn’t.) However it was a much nicer ride without the constant stopping.

What would others do? Being in the correct place is making it not a nice ride now and for quick ride it’s the only place of any distance other than getting the road bike out.

Re:

A lot of my local riding involves at least some mixed use stretches. Generally, dog walkers, ordinary pedestrians and other cyclists are remarkably respectful. I often get thanked for sounding my bell and I thank others for letting me pass. Having to slow down regularly is just part of the ride that I've learned to live with, although there are quieter times of day when there are very few others.

In your case, if it's possible, I would ride on the cycle path and just switch to the footpath/grass verge/whatever is in-between when the cycle path is blocked by walkers. Why are the walkers using the cycle path, though, if the walking path is more scenic?

Check the signs at each end.

We've got one near us where the signs are reversed. So those heading east are in the right, as are those heading west..... can be quite funny to watch.

(think they corrected the signs in the spring)

Re:

The only solution is to be patient and respectful as you pass walkers, equestrians and dog owners, irrespective of legal rites & technicalities. The more cyclists who instincively do this the more the visceral hatred of cyclists by such groups and car owners will subside. As the saying goes people rarely remember a nice encounter but they sure as hell remember an altercation and tell everybody they know.

Idiots are idiots and nothing will change that. Some enjoy blasting through groups of terrified walkers with kids etc or are just not aware of these encounters.

Re:

Signs definitely state the correct paths in both directions.

The area which is the biggest issue with most people can be avoided by going along the road. That might be the answer. It’s just frustrating when 2 paths are their to be used and 1 isn’t.

d8mok":2cx8dyge said:
The lower path is sign posted as cyclists/ horses and the other upper path as walkers .
I'd take a picture of each sign and try to show it to anyone who gives you grief. It depends at the time how aggressive the walker in question is, but you could print the pictures off, laminate them and keep them handy in your rucksack - or if you have a Smart Phone, show them on that.

Pip.

Re:

Yeh that’s a decent idea. But to be honest I never stop to talk or correct them as nobody likes that and I’m sure I’d be portrayed as the big bad cyclist.

When I walk along there myself either with or without the pooch I always use the proper path and have never come across any cyclist which leads me to think that all cyclist must have this issue.

Thinking back one day a guy had his fishing pole across the whole path. I came round a corner at maybe 10mph and it was there. So hard to see as it’s a thin pole. Told him that’s a stupid idea and a child would of crashed and he offered to “take my chin off”. Maybe I just need to find a new secret route

Assuming these are legal rights of way.
If it's the UK, walkers have every right to walk down either path and in fact iirc still have right of way. (don't quote me on them having right of way still)
Cyclist don't

The walkers must not block the cyclist.

The fisherman should not be there and next time just take his fishing rod out and ask for his home insurance details.

Really, bring the issue up with the council (twitter is often good for this, but also an email etc).

The History Man":1g89d534 said:
Flaming spear tied to top tube? .

:LOL: flaming!! for when a spear itself just isnt enough :LOL:

a couple of these tied to your bars should do the trick also -

Attachments

• 51na2vDcOXL._SY355_.jpg
    51na2vDcOXL._SY355_.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 247
Back