Advice on my 96/97 GT Timberline

clymoj

Retro Newbie
Having a clear-out and dug out my GT Timberline. I've still been riding and servicing this on and off but not been 'into' mountain bikes for years now so after some advice from people who know more.

I thought this was my 14th birthday present which would make it a (September) 1996; but a search around on google images seems it may be a 1997? Any help on which would be appreciated. I do remember it was £400 which seemed a lot to me back then. I think you could have had the version with Rock Shox forks for £550.

At some point I changed the handlebars for some Renthal motocross bars to give it more of a downhill stance which was popular at the time. And I swapped the pedals for some BMX platform pedals.

So I guess my question is, as I'm probably going to have to sell it, would I be better to put it's original bars back on or to sell it as is with the originals included?

I don't have the original pedals but I could probably re-unite it with the period platform pedals if that made much difference, or source some similar to the original cage pedals if that was worth doing?

Oh and of course ...what's it worth?

Thanks in advance, I spend time on other forums and I appreciate the 'what's it worth' questions are the hardest to answer but any helpful guidance would be great. I'd rather keep it of course but I'm losing some storage space so some things need to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 176
yeah its a 1997, but being september, it 'could' be next years model, as it the 97 model was available in late 96.

As to how much it's worth, this is what you want before you get yelled at: viewforum.php?f=78

But it was their mid range steel bike, so not a whole lot of $$ really nowdays.

Re:

Lovely, thanks for the reply, I’m new to this forum so didn’t realise you had a ‘what’s it worth’ thread.

I seem to remember waiting a few weeks to get it in that colour rather than the gloss / two tone they had in the shop, so maybe I got next year’s model, who knows.

Anyway, I’ll make a what’s it worth post, thanks for the pointers

Back