KONA KULA 94/95 or so i thought...going bananas. Please help

YETI78

Dirt Disciple
I was sure i had a 94/95 Kula (or AA) frame in my hands until i realized there was a seatpost shim inside the Frame. The poor paint job did somehow hide the shim and only when i removed it now i see my frame was made for a 28.6mm seatpost :shock: not a 27.0mm (Kona standard to the best of my knowledge)

The frame is Easton DB, has the E in the downtube and serial number (F94009) and at first sight all the characteristics of a Kona aluminium frame

I'm going bananas now. What frame could this be? Please help

Re:

From what I can see, it is a 1994 Kula - the first year that Kona introduced aluminum frames into their line-up.

They were built in the Fairly factory, same as the 1995 Kula was, and are constructed from Easton Varilite ProGram tubing.

As for your Seat Post dilemma, I have no idea what is going on there. My 1995 Kula is definitely 27.0mm

Pip.

YETI78":1l5wzs0w said:
Thanks Pip! Maybe the Fairly Factory manufactured frames for other brands?
Yes indeed, they most certainly did - several well known manufacturers.

My only guess regarding the 28.6 OD shim is that at some point the Seat Tube was reamed out to accommodate a more popular Seat Post size. Having said that, it would be preferable to ream out to 27.2mm, as that would give the frame a bit more beef at a point of stress.

Pip

Re:

I'm pretty sure my 94 Kula did not have a replaceable gear hanger.

Latest posts

Back