'Curve' cantilever brake question ...

k-rod

Senior Retro Guru
For those in-the-know ... were they any good at all?

I found a set in pretty good nick on the local market, and am wondering if they're worth polishing and mounting on something? Were they upper end stuff, or run'oth'mill aftermarket bits?

thank you for your expertise and in-put in advance

From what i can remember Curve made some nice decent brakes. The ones spec'd on Kona's i heard are lower end versions!? having said that, i never had any problems with them on my Kilauea i bought new in '96, they were actually better than anything i had ran before, only reason i stopped using them was v brakes started to appear :roll:

mark

Re:

I had a great t-shirt which said “at Curve velocity is job #1” and the Curve logo was a bastardised Ford badge.
Doesn’t help answer your question though!

Re:

Genuine Curve brakes were lovely, especially the mag ones. The Kona ones were basically Swiss cheese and broke as soon as look at them. When I worked for a Kona dealer we had to replace every pair, and every crank, and every set of levers that OEM curve made

Re:

I run them on my A'ha and I wouldn't run them on anything else. They are an arse to set up and struggle to cope with anything approaching normal speed unless you brake very early.

Which ones did you pick up? bet its the Kona ones after all the comments :) got a pic?

Just like to add that there are still plenty of well used sets around so shows that all were not made of cheese :LOL: i still have my well used set somewhere. Having said that they have probably melted in all this heat :LOL:

I also used mine for downhill back in the '90's and as i said before, they work fine and are quite powerful with the longer arms compared to other canti's. Setting them up is quite easy too, no harder than say Dia Compe brakes, they are a fairly basic design :)

mark

thanks all. I just put them onto my spares-and-parts corner after picking them up, and haven't looked at them that closely yet ... but they were being offered at a cheap enough price that I snagged them anyway.

who knows when I might need/use them?

Back