My next Marin project.... any advice?

simcfarlane

Devout Dirtbag
It's been a while since I finished my '94 Palisades Trail.

I've been scouring the local ads / eBay / MTB for sale for my next project. This time I want to do a proper restoration as the last was a learning experience. That bike will go to someone as a tourer / commuter.

It's gotta to be a Marin - so what do you think?

I'm thinking 90-93... Pine Mountain, Eldridge Grade, Indian Fire Trail?

Needs to be a good rider. I ride on the South Downs bridal paths. What should I expect compared to the Palisades - how is it different?

I've got a '99 Eldridge Grade which is my daily rider. I love the feel of that bike (it's Columbus Thron).

Any advice / suggestions appreciated. Look forward to learning from your experiences!

Cheers

Simon

Re:

I'm 6'.

The Palisades is 17 and I find it a little small. Plus getting a bit old to have the seat post right out!

I guess I need a 19 or 20?

Re:

I have a Marin Pine Mountain 91' Frame/forks and parts, in 19/20" ratty paint and a couple of small dents under the top tube, any good ?

Re:

Thanks for the offer. Wanna get a perfect frame though.

Don't mind painting - but no dents. I'd keep noticing them :)

Re:

I restored an 92 Eldridge Grade and 91 Pine Mountain over last winter.

The Pine Mountain was a total basket case frame, ended up getting it powder coated.

There's a build thread somewhere but it went from this:
Pine Mountain Build by Mac74, on Flickr

to this:

Untitled by Mac74, on Flickr

It was a bit of a labour of love and to my shame, I've never actually ridden it despite all the nice weather we've had :-(

I do use the Eldridge though and have done a couple of hundred miles on it since spring.

The 19.5" frame will be the right size for you, mine are the 17.5" and I'm 5'10".

Re:

That's exactly what I had in mind. I think it needs to be a Pine Mountain or Eldridge Grade.

Great job you've done there.

What does the Eldridge ride like? I want to treat it well but still get it muddy sometimes!

My Palisades is a bit sluggish. I think it's just the weight of the frame / forks.

Re:

Rides great. I wouldn't say it's a lightweight but it tracks and climbs really well.

Well worth getting one but I would try to buy as complete a bike as possible rather than the bare frame that I did as it took a while to source the correct forks, stem and bars.

Pine Mountain, Eldridge and Bear Valley SE all share the same frame.
Similarly for Palisades and Bear Valley.

I'd agree with the 'slightly ponderous' remark - but that makes them brilliant for all day rides and touring.

Back