Suggestion for BOTM...

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Back in the midst of time, the idea behind BOTM was to nominate ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER's bike.

At some point this changed to everyone simply putting their own bikes forward.

It seems to me there's a greater appreciation and respect of the bikes and builds themselves when they're nominated by others, rather than put forward by their owners for kudos.

I really liked the honesty in the original format and it seemed more 'gentlemanly' compared to what it's become - like the unwritten rule of never voting for one's own bike.

Maybe we could return to simpler times with BOTM, and actually get some love into things again rather than the bitch fest it seems to have become...?

Just a thought.

definetly worth a punt dude, if we could theme it as there is sooooo many to choose from. english buld, alloy, usa, european etc

Re:

Yep, worth a go. Must admit BOTM has stopped being a must see thread and I only venture in at voting time if I remember.

Re:

I'm fairly new to the forum but surely there was a reason it changed? Would enough people nominate other people's bikes due to being impressed by the build or would it end up being I nominate my friends bike & they nominate mine etc which would just make things worse? I enjoy it & it's got me reading some old build threads I otherwise may have missed. I put my Raleigh in for the Reynolds month against some really high end stuff had no one laugh it off & some people / a person even voted for it.
If it's not broken don't fix it is my opinion.

Agree with that point. Although I like the idea of nominating - might encourage more people to post up build threads. For what it's worth I like a good story behind a bike, the history, problems and graft; rather than 'I had a few grand around and I bought a load of nos stuff and chucked it on' Not that there's anything wrong with that - plenty of gorgeous examples of those about. I just prefer the slog :)

Re:

^^ A good story behind the reason why you wanted it, the build process and a detailed comparison ride review would make a big difference to my interest.

So many amazing rare and cool bikes on here but precious few ride reports.

Re: Re:

MR OX":15szpd5e said:
I'm fairly new to the forum but surely there was a reason it changed?

Indeed, I imagine confirming if the poster is still active, the poster hasn't already entered it into a special and / or normal month, that the bike isn't for sale or hasn't been sold, the bike is still in the same spec as the latest picture/s, ensuring the pictures are of good enough quality, etc. would be quite an administrative challenge.

The beauty of the owner entering it means the majority of these issues are redundant.

It's a cool idea though. Perhaps with some guidelines for us to follow, it could work.

Back