Have i knacked it?

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Was removing a decal from a McMahon titanium stem the other day using a hairdryer to heat it so that the decal would peel off easily when i noticed a small discolouration at one of the welds joining the tube which holds the handlebar to the tubing that runs up from the steerer (or whatever it is called!).
I'm not sure whether it was there before, but now i'm worried that this discolouration is showing a weakness or impurities within the weld, and i'm worried that it has only appeared since the tubing had heat applied to it. This is a very small area, but i would like to know if anyone thinks this may be a problem?

I was (even though it seems obvious) surprised at how hot the tubing got very quickly, which i hope has not damaged the stem. The heat was only on the stem for 10-20 seconds, and from a fair distance, but it was quite hot (i.e. too hot to touch).

Sorry i don't have any photos i can offer on this.

Feeling like a bit of a fool on this one.... :oops:

Can anyone allay my fears? :(

It's scrap...I'll dispose of it for you.

:)

Well I'm no metalurgist but I doubt even a hairdryer with Vidal Sasoon at the helm and a turbo button could change the chemical properties of the weld. Lots of proper welders on here who will give you an accurate answer.

Are you sure it was a hairdryer? Soulds like a welding torch! ;)

In the mean time if you're still concerned send it over.

a hairdryer isnt going to damage it. the temperature gets no where near anything likely to cause harm.

Crell":1trtuqdw said:
It's scrap...I'll dispose of it for you.

:)

Well I'm no metalurgist but I doubt even a hairdryer with Vidal Sasoon at the helm and a turbo button could change the chemical properties of the weld. Lots of proper welders on here who will give you an accurate answer.

Are you sure it was a hairdryer? Soulds like a welding torch! ;)

In the mean time if you're still concerned send it over.

crell, you are a funny guy, i was just laughing at the "turbo button" reply, when i noticed your animated gif !! that is the best ive seen on here by a long way!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I thought so, as metal obviously has a very high melting point, but just being paranoid i suppose.

Thanks folks, feel better.....free therapy....it's great!! :LOL:

Like everyones already said, it's nothing.

Even if you had used a heat gun, as long as it was heated and cooled evenly and slowly, then no worries.

That discolouration is just impurities on the surface, you'll find a really good buff will get rid of it ;)

TI is good for 900 - 1100 degrees C :D Ok the alloys mixed with it may not be (But not far Off), and the fillers used during the welding process normally poses the same qualities as the item!

Just keep it away from the Missus's GHD's . . . . . their Nuclear! :D

Back