Front Suspension advice needed

retrodude

Retro Newbie
Ok so looking to replace the Rockshox Judy's that are on my Trek 8700. I actually think they perform ok for my needs but there a bit heavy and are starting to look tatty. Plus I'm going for a bit of a carbon theme on my bike so looking at some retro Pace rc forks as they look the business imo, but im not sure what model I should go for. I assume rc 35 and 36 models are kinda period correct.

So I need a bit of guidance. As I'm new to the retro bike scene and know little, although I have often for a years had a browse on here, drooling at the excellent bikes found here.
Or maybe recommend other forks. I'm not looking to spend more than £100 if possible and I've got a red, black, carbon thing going on so hoping to find something to keep the look going.

Thanks

Re:

I dunno about period correct (what year is your Trek 8700?), but if you want something to match the red/black/carbon thing then a Manitou Mars CL fork fits the bill...

Attachments

• mars 3.jpg
    mars 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 558
Re: Re:

jimo746":9zd5xyky said:
I dunno about period correct (what year is your Trek 8700?), but if you want something to match the red/black/carbon thing then a Manitou Mars CL fork fits the bill...

It's 93 I believe so something that would look right on it.
Those forks certainly have the correct colour scheme.

Re:

Period correct Pace forks would be the the 1993 RC35 AB, or the RC35K from the previous year.
You might find a decent working set of those for your budget. And the steerer is swappable on those forks too.

But the performance of a Judy is far better than any RC35 so that would be a downgrade of sorts. RC36 are Ok, I think. But you would have to spend more than 100 quid to get one of these. Same with most forks that would be as good or better (looking) than the Judys.

Re:

Specialized FSX either MAG based (period correct) or Judy based (following years period upgrade correct).

Next.

Oh and good luck getting a cheap working set ;-)

The manitou above are a lot newer but should be a fine fork to use. Travel will be longer (80mm?), so use a shorter stem if you go that way.

Any pictures of the bike and Judy's you have now (could be 50/60mm travel or longer already).

Thias":1zsh2p7w said:
But the performance of a Judy is far better than any RC35 so that would be a downgrade of sorts. RC36 are Ok, I think. But you would have to spend more than 100 quid to get one of these. Same with most forks that would be as good or better (looking) than the Judys.

And to be clear, RC36s are head and shoulders above RC35s and Judy's.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":xolnpyoj said:
Specialized FSX either MAG based (period correct) or Judy based (following years period upgrade correct).

Next.

Oh and good luck getting a cheap working set ;-)

The manitou above are a lot newer but should be a fine fork to use. Travel will be longer (80mm?), so use a shorter stem if you go that way.

Any pictures of the bike and Judy's you have now (could be 50/60mm travel or longer already).

There 60mm

Re:

You might get away with rc36, but they are 70/90mm ish so a longer fork.
If 60mm was fine, you can give it a try.
You may need to alter you seat, stem etc positions.

Back