What would you do if you bought a frame from ebay and the...

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...frame number had been filed off and painted over.

The person isn't responding to my emails anymore!
It could have been bought from a Police Auction (as I regulary do) so it's perfectly legitimate now. I don't know.
There's no proof that it's stolen, just the frame number is missing makes me wonder (why would you remove it etc).

Re: What would you do if you bought a frame from ebay and th

Rampage":2j8aipq6 said:
...frame number had been filed off and painted over.

The person isn't responding to my emails anymore!
It could have been bought from a Police Auction (as I regulary do) so it's perfectly legitimate now. I don't know.
There's no proof that it's stolen, just the frame number is missing makes me wonder (why would you remove it etc).

Print yourself a receipt from ebay/paypal and carry on as normal. If you ever get pulled by the police (come on who has ever been pulled), you can prove you bought it legimately and simply plead ignorance to the frame number.

Print yourself a receipt from ebay/paypal and carry on as normal. If you ever get pulled by the police (come on who has ever been pulled), you can prove you bought it legimately and simply plead ignorance to the frame number.

true, but that assumes everyone holds the same moral values, Rampage may be concerned that the frame he has bought was stolen from someone, and therefore by buying he is not culpable of the crime, but he is perpetrating it.

theboy":3o91e39r said:
true, but that assumes everyone holds the same moral values, Rampage may be concerned that the frame he has bought was stolen from someone, and therefore by buying he is not culpable of the crime, but he is perpetrating it.

You are correct in everything you say, on reflection maybe report the item to ebay (or maybe even the police) and hopefully get a refund through paypal. Hope this helps.

But pragmatically it achieves nothing as the bike is untraceable unless chipped and would then get sold on in a Police Auction. Let it ride, write it off to experience, but ask for a frame number next time you buy a bike.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if e-bay insisted that frame numbers were listed on all bike/frame auctions? If this was then 'searchable' it would effectively remove the thiefs capability to sell stolen frames on e-bay as the real owners could very easily ID their bike on the site.

How many of us have a list of frame numbers of the bikes we own though?

**pops to garage to list frame numbers**

Russell":211v85dl said:
Perhaps it would be a good idea if e-bay insisted that frame numbers were listed on all bike/frame auctions? If this was then 'searchable' it would effectively remove the thiefs capability to sell stolen frames on e-bay as the real owners could very easily ID their bike on the site.

thats a very good idea

rob

Russell":320xbaug said:

I do.

Back