Tell me about this.... F.W.Evans

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
/////////////// :) ////////////////Thread started in the readers rides section\\\\\\\\\\\ :) \\\\\\\\\\\\

Picked this up yesterday, mainly because I just have to buy something from a car boot.

Now I can see it says F.W.Evans but I can't see any frame numbers to date it by, its 531 as stated, its red but can't find any similar frames as most seem to have evans on top of the seatstays.... this doesnt and is just scalloped. I'm aware of some sort of saracen connection so tell me more about what I have please folks

IMG_20180520_085105.jpg

IMG_20180520_085012.jpg

IMG_20180520_085135.jpg

Its from around 1985 ish (look up the 531 decal, they appeared for the 84/85 model years). The vertical drop-outs hint at later than earlier as earlier would have the more road orientated drop-outs.

Bluemels were building some of the early Evans production bikes along with Yates (?) for the prototype Saracens and Autostrada in Birmingham for later mass production bikes.

1985 model with horizontal drop-outs and plain stays - no 'Evans'

file.php

Why thank you Mr cheese, most informative.

Another addition to my Brit build family me thinks....1985 though, that's gonna take some searching for parts isn't it........ Unless you think stx would go well on it?
:LOL:

I have a suitable deerhead front mech available or even a suntour mountech. But just the front.

And an stx too.

Re:

small update on this

This frameset has been in my possesion for a while, period correct deer head is expensive and i'm getting bit of a sick of it hanging there so .....

1989 XT groupset here we come, I know ... its not period correct but I wanted to build something, just waiting for some SiS cable and I'll take it out for a ride.

Thread started in the readers ride section :)

IMG-20190618-141828.jpg

Latest posts

Back