Show me your: Funky Shiny Paint & Powder Finishes

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My RC200 F8 is being butchered to replace some damaged tubes, which is going to mean I need to refinish the frame. Its looking like anodising isn't the way to go, so we are back to either a paint or power finish.

I would like to recreate the right look so it appears to be anodised, perhaps the original red or another of the Pace finishes. Some have suggested I explore the flamboyant candy finishes available as about as close as might be achievable. The trouble is without seeing it in the flesh - so to speak - its hard to know what they actual look like, photos on a website often don't tell the whole story.

Now, there are many many varieties out there, I'm looking for inspiration. So, please share your good and bad experiences to help me along.

Cheers

Re:

sunglasses at the ready....... :cool:

Attachments

• r6.jpg
    r6.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 1,359
Re:

I had my RC300 head tube repaired and the frame painted with silver flake and a violet flip before I sold it on :cool:

Attachments

• pace3.jpg
    pace3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,344
  • pace2.jpg
    pace2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,344
  • pace1.jpg
    pace1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,344
Re:

Blingy. Not sure about the violet flip myself (maybe another colour) but I bet that sparkled in the sunshine.

Re:

I think a deep racing green with a metallic flip would look great on a pace.

I had a giant back in 92 (ISH) that had an amazing paint job. A pit like the pace one above, but it was a blue/purple to start with and depending on the light it could be any or all of the colours. A bit like a linear fade Klein, but all over. Shame some scumbag stole it, I've never been able to identify it or find another.

Re:

I powdercoated an old aluminium frame a couple of years back as a bit of an experiment, which was then built up and sold as a fast commuter for the smoke..

Can't remember the RAL of the top of my head but went for a dark indigo with clear lacquer .I wanted something quite discreet and this worked well, it looked almost purple in bright light but black in low light :)

Attachments

• IMG_2665 copy.jpg
    IMG_2665 copy.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,263
Re:

Hmm, subtle but sparkly. I guess a normal metallic would so that.

It looks like either paint or powder can achieve the same sort of finish too which is nice. I alway expect a paint finish to be nicer but it's looking like powder can do the job too so maybe I need to review my expectations.

Back