Reasonable time limit to pay for something

steviebexplosif

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So what is this......... time. I recently wanted,asked to purchase a bike not an outstanding amount of money, but i so so wanted it, I enquired found out shipping details. The vendor sent PayPal details over........ at 11.42am........... got home from work and the seller at 4.32 4 hrs 50 mins dedecides I'm hanging back on payment, or not going to have it, or without even a are you still interested only 4 or so hours in. was selling more than 1i think screw the first offer. Or agreed and sell to a gazumper or someone else who wants 3 fairly cheap bikes of no great amount that was less than 500 notes.
What does everyone else think feedbacks wonderful people when left after being had over.
Also remember p.o. friends too. Here I was preparing to trust this person and send hom( my friend!!!!!!!! ) my hard earnt money.
An honest bike lover stevie

Last edited:
I dont know, i suppose a seller is entitled to wait or sell whenever he wants. Did you confirm you definatlly wanted it, and did you let the seller know you would be paying later in the day when you returned from work?

They might have took the silence as hesitation along with another buyer who was ready to commit.

Mark

Re:

Clear concise communication is the key when buying and selling stuff online. If you ask for payment details and know you won't be able to pay for a few hours then it's in your interest to let the seller know so there's no confusion. When I buy stuff on here and ask for paypal details I pay instantly (using the paypal app on my mobile if I'm at work) or let the seller know that there will be a delay.

I have to say, your initial post is not the easiest to read therefore I could see how it would be easy for a misunderstanding to arise :? . No offence meant, just trying to help.

Re:

I’m afraid has to be first to pay gets it

Turning down subsequent offers whilst waiting for someone to cough up is silly, plenty of interested parties disappear along the way

If you can’t pay straight away then the best thing you do is try and get the sellers agreement to wait, but you can’t expect this

Don’t worry about it, won’t be personal and move on to the next one, and there’s always a next one!

All about the comm’s for me. If I was going to be paying any later than a minute or so after enquiry I’d be telling the seller and confirming my intent to buy explaining a delay in payment due to xyz.
I lay out my t’s and c’s fairly clearly in sale ad’s and like to keep interested parties in the loop. This has backfired in the past and I’ve lost sales because of it. I’ve also been a frustrated potential buyer in the past too but try not to dwell on these things. The answer your original question I guess there is no hard and fast rule; it’s all at the sellers discretion and many will take the money from the person who can pay quickest.

Something else that floats your boat will inevitably turn up :)

Re:

I agree,communication is the key.I was on the receiving end of flaky buyers on a few occasions so unfortunately unless the buyer has impeccable feedback I wont hold onto anything for more than a couple of hours and its first come first served more often than not.One example- I was selling 2 forks that were meticulously boxed and packed individually,a guy(on here)said he would take both and pay at the end of the week.He asked me to pack them both together(I had to destroy the individual boxes)and get a quote for post which I did and he was happy with it.A week later the excuses started :evil: ......

it's yours when you pay for it. No dibs, no "on payday"

by the same token it's also good form to send a quick message if you change your mind or whatever.

Re:

Communication is key, but also 4 hours is ridiculous, you have to allow for people being at work etc.

I recently held a frameset for about 2 months with no deposit (one was offered) for a guy as he really wanted the frameset, his communication was excellent and it was enough for me to feel happy holding the frameset for him.

Latest posts

Back