Funk Suspension Fork Info

paddlingpool

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked up some Funk Forks a while ago and now looking at rebuilding them but have a few questions.

First off i will need a longer steerer as the one that came with it is very small and the wrong size.
Looking for 1-1/4", threaded around 230mm long. What options do I have here?
Also, looking at the one that it came with whats to stop it slipping out the bottom of the crown? Shouldn't there be a retaining clip?

They could probably benefit from some new seals also, I have heard that Manitou 2/3 parts could be compatible, is this correct?

I haven't looked at the insides yet but I imagine items need replacing here too. Again what parts are compatible here?

Cheers. Here are a few pics:-

aFpS7Cbl.jpg

phqSboal.jpg

wq8MV8Kl.jpg

8mkgWDhl.jpg

t9WJn1Kl.jpg

UKWbaNEl.jpg

Re: Funk Fork Info

I would have someone machine a steerer tube to fit a 1 1/4" headset. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Or use a staight steel shaft as a steerer and machine a shim that fits the fork crown and the headset bottom coup. Basically like it is now. Then have that pin sticking a a few mm so it fits into those (uneven looking) cutouts at the bottom of the fork crown. The shim would be Aluminium. Steerer tube would be steel (if you want to use a threaded headset, or else Aluminium)

Technically, the steerer tube does not need any "slip out pevention measures". It will be held by the clamping forces just fine. And the usual forces while riding would push it farther in rather than pulling it out. It would only come apart if both bolts stripped or broke.

Re:

I would absolutely recommend having a lip on the steerer tube to stop it slipping out of the crown clamp. ( or a grove that holds a circlip)

I had a set of Pace RC30's bitd and they came without the circlip on the bottom of the steerer tube. Spent months having to re-tighten the headset before someone explained the clip was missing. Once I reset the steerer tube with the circlip in place all was good. So, from experience, a straight tube will pull through the crown clamp. If you are getting something custom machined it could be an expensive mistake not to have some form of "slip out prevention measures" !

Hope that's of some help.

Re:

Manitou 1 parts should fit. I have the manual for these somewhere so will try dig it out for you

Re:

I have some Manitou forks with a 1 1/4 steerer that I have reserved for a forum member. Don’t think he wants the steerer so could put you in contact if the deal goes through?

Back