Shims for a seatpost

jongustafson

Retro Guru
Hi there,

I need some advise on how to solve a problem that i´ve got.

I'm looking for a seatpost which is not easily available in the size 27.2 that my frame got. It has to be a Campagnolo mtb seatpost and the only ones I see, is either 27.0 or 26.6.

So my questions are:

Can I use the tin can solution on a 27.0 with a decent result?

Or can I use a trimmed down shim for the 26.6 post?

The latter could be trimmed (rolled) to fit into a 27.2 tube or is it a far out idea? (I would simply enlarge the already existing sleeve in the shim and then roll it to match the 27.2 mm. seattube.

I hope you guys could help me out on this one!

Re:

Many riders on here use a soft drinks can to shim a seat post.

The cans are very accurately manufactured, but the thickness is an unknown factor until you cut one up to measure with a Vernier.

The best method is to use brass sheeting available from model suppliers, as you can select the gauge required.

You'll need 0.1mm thickness as this dimension will double up when it is rapped around your 27.0mm Seatpost.

You can cut this stuff with scissors, but I use a modeling blade - just make a template out of paper first by wrapping it around your Seatpost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Sheet- ... 1549930570

Pip.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Okay, but if I prefer the latter one, would it be feasible with that solution with a 0.3 mm. sheet so I can use it on a 26.6 mm. seatpost?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back