Pace RC200 dropout bolts and nuts broken

Northernmonkey

Dirt Disciple
Hi, my RC200 dropout fasteners are cracked. Specifically all of the aluminium nuts have cracks down their length and virtually fell in two halves on removal. The bolts may well be titanium so what’s the suggested solution? Do I simply buy standard steel chainset nuts? Thanks!

Thanks - on closer inspection the existing alloy nuts 'outers' are way too short. To get ample contact through the dropout and frame, they need to be near 12mm, whereas the ones i removed are near 7mm. The join would be much stronger with deeper parts.

Am I the only one to have this - if so, is there a recommended supplier of the deeper chainring bolt outers?

Thanks,

Northernmonkey":24rc8oqm said:
Thanks - on closer inspection the existing alloy nuts 'outers' are way too short. To get ample contact through the dropout and frame, they need to be near 12mm, whereas the ones i removed are near 7mm. The join would be much stronger with deeper parts.

Am I the only one to have this - if so, is there a recommended supplier of the deeper chainring bolt outers?

Thanks,
Happened to mine too. Just replaced them with some stainless chainring bolts I had lying around. All good now (though I should probably ‘invest’ in some fancy titanium ones).

Re:

So talk to me people.....
Normal chainring bolts, longer for preference. OK, no worries.

As for material is there any advantage to steel, alloy or Ti in this application? Weight plays a part but it's a tiny part so don't care too much about that. Is alloy more prone to failure?

Re:

Part of the reason I ask is one of the four bolts on the back of my RC200 is stamped PACE and appears to be funny alloy or even Ti, magnet doesn't like it anyway. The other 3 are steel and in a pretty poor condition. Spot the odd one out in the photo.

At least the nut side of the deal look like they match.

What was supplied on these from the factory? Let me guess, it depends what day of the week it was.

Attachments

• DSC_1462.jpg
    DSC_1462.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC_1464.jpg
    DSC_1464.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 450
Re:

The original Pace stamped ones on mine were ally. All cracked though. Went for steel as a) I had some lying around and b) I wanted to get some decent torque on to hold the plates against the frame. There was a bit of creaking otherwise.

I have a feeling they were single chainring bolt lengths as I think they were off my single speed.

Sounds like thats why I have only one left then! If they are all cracked and dead this bolt must be rare and therefore worth a fortune :D

Steel it is, plenty in the shed

Back