Need Instructions:Elastomer change on 854 Girvin Forks

proflexnewbie

Retro Newbie
I need some instructions on how to change the front elastomer(s) on my Proflex 854. I have a 45mm and a 35mm elastomer, any help will be greatly appreciated.

can give you full instructions , but will take me a while to write / type it out

will try and do it after work tomorrow morning

its not thet difficult to do , just difficult to explain

right , cant sleep so i will do it now

firstly you will need to remove your stem

in the picture the bolt on the furthest right needs to be undone , so that the clamp can be slid up the steerer ( not yet though )

next undo the 6mm bolt that holds the ODS shock in position ( dont lose the bushings )

you should now be able to swing the clamp pivot up and away from the shock ( thats why you need to remove the stem )

underneath the shock / bottom elastomer cup , there should be a large nut , undo this , the shock is threaded directly into the linkage , just unthread

the shock should now be free of the fork

remove the bottom elastomer cup and replace the elastomers

put it all back together :D

do you have a removeble stem or is it attatched to the forks ?

on the one in the pic it is a seperate item as per a normal stem , 2 pinch bolts

if its the attatched type i dont have one like that , but i am sure it is the same , just 2 pinch bolts

in this case just loosen them off so that the stem slides , no need to remove ( not that you can in that case )

Here are some close ups of the forks

I managed to get the forks apart and get the piece that holds the elastomer free but I could not get it to come out to replace the elastomer.

Attachments

• proflex 001.jpg
    proflex 001.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,773
  • proflex 003.jpg
    proflex 003.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 3,773
  • proflex 007.jpg
    proflex 007.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3,773
hmm , vector 1

will have to check on my files , how to get this one out

think i got it worked out but want to be sure

the only way i can see to get the new elastomers on is to remove the forks completely

headset cap off , slide the stem off and drop the forks out

you should then be able to pull the stem and the bottom linkage in opposite directions

which will pull the elastomer spindle ( silver ) out of the ( black ) part that is attached to the stem

then all being good the elastomers should slide on

the only other way is to start removing the bottom linkage and you will end up with about 3 million parts on your table

try it and let me know

just to give you an idea of what goes into these forks :shock:

Attachments

• bikes 070.jpg
    bikes 070.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,753
Back