Rubber-coated commuter

90sCro-MoFan

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone out there ever wrapped their whole bike in old inner tubes?

I bought an old Claud Bulter (I'm pretty sure it's a Zagato, but the stickers were missing, so can't be 100%) for peanuts a while back. It's my one and only ally frame bike and I bought it to use as a daily hack/commuter. It had the odd scratch here and there, not enough to make it look too scabby, but enough to make me want to do something about it. I've always used old inner tubes as chainstay protectors on all the bikes I (re)build, so I thought, why not try covering a whole bike with them? It took me a while to decide the best way to go about it and I used about 5 or 6 old tubes and a few black cable ties here and there to keep everything tidy, but I was quite happy with the end result (I can almost hear all your shrieks of horror :eek: ). It gives the bike a sort of "Mad-Max" look, but I kind of like it. Only the outer edges of the bottom bracket, the rear cantilever hanger (now redundant as I've fitted V's) and the dropouts are left uncovered (oh and the stem and handlebars of course). So there's only the transmission, brakes and wheels to keep free of winter crud etc. OK, nearly a year on some of the rubber has started to perish a bit, but they were very old tubes I found in older bikes and just lying around the garage, so that's expected. I can easily unwrap them and stick "new" tubes on again. It's given the bike a kinda of "zombie" appearance though..............Hmmm. At least it deters potential thieves because they're probably afraid to touch it in case they catch something!

I thought this was one of those spam posts from Eastern Europe that was gonna end with a link to a website selling Gimp suits for Kinky Londoners to wear in rush hour

then I read on and perhaps its just my over active imagination,

As for your question no I've not seen anyone with a bike covered in Rubber lol

.........but I have met THM and his bizarre creations

Re:

Ha-ha, nice one Retro-Spud. Rest assured the rubber thing starts and ends with the bike......................for now! :eek: . Can't believe I'm the only one that's ever done this though. Will have to check out THM though..................

I've seen it done, there's actually a bike outside with it done. Split tubes wrapped round all the main tubes and rear triangle. Looks like it's been glued on.

I'd be worried about holding moisture and dirt against the frame, much like the issues with lizard skins headset protectors, which if you didn't pop them off, your headset would rust away in weeks.

Re:

I considered skin.

Really. Breathable. Hard wearing, easily available.

Frank nearly had skin.

cycle couriers in london used to do years ago over the top and down tubes. imagine banging your frame up against lamp posts and railings to fit your d-lock 20-30 times a day.. and then you have pedestrians who bump up against them putting some nice scratches over your shiney tubes. might well be worth doing if you have your bike locked up outside your work place or something. also makes them look a little more crappy and might deter some kid from having a go at helping himself to it : /

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back