polishing titanium.

Are you just buffing an originally polished frame, or trying to polish a matt frame?

Buffing easy with polishing paste and cloth, but getting the polished surface in the first place is a complete PITA, which is why builders charge hundreds extra for polishing compared to an even matt bead blast.
Most big Ti builders, such as Litespeed/Lynskey put their loose tubes through a polishing machine before welding, then touch up the weld areas when finished. Serious elbow grease needed otherwise.

All the best,

Re:

My torus isn't a polished finish. I'm about to embark on refinishing a matt ti finished frame. I've had some advice, but would welcome more on how to get a matt finish.

Re:

ishaw":1qeojjt0 said:
My torus isn't a polished finish. I'm about to embark on refinishing a matt ti finished frame. I've had some advice, but would welcome more on how to get a matt finish.
i've been told to use steel wool. will be trying that soon an certain areas on my frame where the run of exposed cables on the top tube has made it somewhat polished area compared to the rest.

Re:

I used steel wool first off, but it wasn't quite right.

Found these mild abrasive foam pads last year when i was varnishing doors in the house, found it while looking for something else and the penny dropped...

Gave it a try today with warm soapy water and it's come up brilliantly!
Hand and pad wrapped around the tubes twisting back and forth around it, not along it, it's left a lovely nearly-new finish! :cool:

Attachments

• ti6.jpg
    ti6.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 614
  • ti5.jpg
    ti5.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 614
  • ti4.jpg
    ti4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 613
  • ti3.jpg
    ti3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 613
  • ti2.jpg
    ti2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 614
  • ti1.jpg
    ti1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 614
  • pad.jpg
    pad.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 614
Hours of emery cloth, and then hours and hours of elbow grease and autosol...

veyn29.jpg

zxtywx.jpg

21kifpf.jpg

Re:

Looks great. What are the pads and where can I buy them. I don't want a polished finish on mine but the finish pre-autosol is what I'm after.

Latest posts

Back