sachs and donor bike

courierdude

Dirt Disciple
hi, im new here. used to be a cycle courier in central london way back when...nearly 30 years ago lol. so, been a bit into bikes back then..nothing too pricey as they often got squashed or stolen..

so ive been trying to build a bit of a cruiser for a few years and havent really got around to anything more than collecting odd bits here and there.

i stumbled across this sachs frame recently and bought it to put the groupset on something less eccentric-not a fan of bouncing forks and definitely happy to live without a rear shock.

today i bought a bike from which i can extract the wheels and seat post which i will put on the sachs and either use it or sell it on as a complete bike.

just curious as to what this might be.

it has an expensive saddle, cheapish groupset, interesting (or not!) square tubing to the for seat and chain stays and a quite specific bit of metal joining the 2.

dont know if its an apollo or something that deserves the bontrager saddle!

heres the sachs too-just for interest : )

if anyone has ideas i would sure be interested to know. serial number on the bike starts with AJ and google doesnt want to tell me which manufacturers would stamp that on their frames : /

TIA

Attachments

• sachssmlfil.jpg
    sachssmlfil.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 143
  • bikesmlfil.jpg
    bikesmlfil.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 143
made a mess of that-thanks photobucket : /

do i have to do a number of posts before being allowed a user album as i cant seem to find the button to allow me to post pics?

Loads of frames around like that - all essentially Trek Y frame copies. The good ones were light weith decent bushes...however they went all the way down to boat anchors which were merely BSOs.

i thought it might well be a trek given the bontrager saddle that treks use and the rst forks that i think a cheaper assembler might not have used.

this one does feel lighter than the boat anchors you mention. it was the weight and the square chain/seat stays that grabbed my attention.

cheers-i'll pretend its a trek until i know different lol

Back