Was there a Specialized m2 s works Aly based frame in 1993 ?

uk gearmuncher

Retro Guru
The specialized catalogue only shows a steel m2 s works that year, not an Aly based m2. Was there a red with yellow decals Aly based team m2 team s works that year ?

Would the serial number help ?

Re:

No such thing as a steel M2.

M2 was the name they gave to the alloy / metal matrix tubing they used.

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":2p5t4z2p said:
No such thing as a steel M2.

M2 was the name they gave to the alloy / metal matrix tubing they used.

Whilst I would agree with you, the catalogue that year shows one that year I believe.

You'll have to put some pics up of the catalogue so I can see what you mean.

There was an S-Works M2 in '93, and there was an S-works Steel in '93, but they are both different frames using different materials.

If you have a steel frame with M2 decals on, the decals are incorrect!

I'm interested as well. I'm assuming there was but it was not in the catalog. Mine has 26.8 post and weighs 1372g. The serial number start with 93. No paint or decals but you can see the outlines from the decals

Re:

I'm not 100% sure what year these frames were first available but I do know myself and my dad had the first ones available to purchase in the UK.

The Steel was a dark metallic green and the M2 a metallic purple. I really remember the purple as the first batches suffered from what was dubbed quick release paint as it would flake off at will due to a cock up in the paint process.

AlexTemper":28izcbpz said:
I'm not 100% sure what year these frames were first available but I do know myself and my dad had the first ones available to purchase in the UK.

The Steel was a dark metallic green and the M2 a metallic purple. I really remember the purple as the first batches suffered from what was dubbed quick release paint as it would flake off at will due to a cock up in the paint process.

I got the same M2 one and yes, it suffered mildly from the painting defect.
It was their Europe-spec top modell back then anyway. Oh, and it's up for sale :xmas-wink: :https://imgur.com/a/LkLjz

Cheers,
Endre

Re:

Not sure how much more clear this can be made really.

Specialized is the company. Check?

S-Works is the top of the Specialized line. Check?

M2 is one of the Specialized frame materials available - also available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

Steel is one of the Specialized frame materials available - also available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

'M2' is not 'steel'. Check?

'M2' and 'steel' are both available in the same year, and both available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

If you can safely confirm all the 'check' above then things will become clearer for you.

Yes, 'S-Works' were available in those years...

Yes, 'M2' were available in those years...

Yes, 'steel' were available in those years...

No, 'S-Works M2 Steel' have never been available in any year, nor could they ever have been or ever be. Same way as there could never be an 'S-Works titanium steel m2'.

Hopefully that clears things up.

And I'm not offering up lugged frames as an option for recourse here either. :)

BoyBurning":efaajsyb said:
Not sure how much more clear this can be made really.

Specialized is the company. Check?

S-Works is the top of the Specialized line. Check?

M2 is one of the Specialized frame materials available - also available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

Steel is one of the Specialized frame materials available - also available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

'M2' is not 'steel'. Check?

'M2' and 'steel' are both available in the same year, and both available as top of the line 'S-Works'. Check?

If you can safely confirm all the 'check' above then things will become clearer for you.

Yes, 'S-Works' were available in those years...

Yes, 'M2' were available in those years...

Yes, 'steel' were available in those years...

No, 'S-Works M2 Steel' have never been available in any year, nor could they ever have been or ever be. Same way as there could never be an 'S-Works titanium steel m2'.

Hopefully that clears things up.

And I'm not offering up lugged frames as an option for recourse here either. :)
They should do a 3D Ultimate.

Back