Rock Shox Quadra 21R refresh

pingu_turbo

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

My first post and my return to mountain biking. I recently brought my home built down hill/XC bike out from retirement (built around 1994) and became acutely aware that the front forks had collapsed and were completely solid. Having a look about online I thought it be wise to strip them down for a clean up, free up and clean.

FTpUlGf.jpg

I removed the caps and was not surprised to find lots of crumbly bits. Using a bit of light oil and a couple of long flat screwdrivers, I was able to dig my way into the elastomers and salvage the plastic bits and bobs.

LBdKylN.jpg

What remains of the bouncy bits

BTjEzEv.jpg

Now I have all of the working parts removed from the bodies, I now need to source some nice new bouncy bits to put some spring back in my ride. I have considered changing the elastomers for springs but without any dampening effect, I do not fancy this route. What I would like to do is fit some polyurethane bar that has been cut and drilled to fit. I have no idea as to what lengths the original elastomers were so I’ll have to work that out somehow. I’d love to completely refurbish the bike over time as she was built by my own hands as a very young teenager and has served my transport and exercise needs for many years when I built it. So to kick off I’ll get the forks done first so I can shake her down a bit.

Do yourself a favour and buy a Mag21 instead. They are cheap and work much better, imho. Elastomere stacks are kind of hard to find and therefore very expensive. Compared to what you pay for a decent Mag21. Just my 2ct.

Re:

Thanks for your replies. I feel kind of sentimental about these forks, just because I've had them on the bike since both were new and I want to try and refurb them back to useable whilst I can. I have a threaded post on the forks, and as far as i can tell that isnt a common setup any more. But I will keep my eye out for a pair of mag 21s for if I feel the need to change. With regard to fitting springs to these, there wont be any dampening if i do this - hence I think the OEM setup would be best. I don't want to pogo down the trails.

Re:

The damping on these is a friction ring iirc.
Elastomers damping is bollox in reality they are a spring and return just the same. Made up BitD to sell them. The damping seen is seals or friction rings (in better setups).
Or just crap elastomers.

Used as they are cheap and lighter than springs.

Stick springs in.

Re:

Also Quadra21R is a 1995 and 1996 model fork.

They're probably 1995 (same year Judy came out)

The crown/steerer should be threadless but I guess you switched for a threaded steerer.
It should also clamp onto the stanchions (fork blades) and a MAG21 will just slide into the crown, though look for a Long Travel version if you can find them.
ALL gold or ALL nickelite in colour, incl brace are the better ones (1995/1996 versions).

And http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... e.pdf.html if you need them

Re:

Thats a fair point about the elastomers. Would you have any idea who makes springs for my forks? I dont remember changing the steerer, but we are talking about 23 years ago. 1 1/4” steerer. Interesting that the mag 21’s will fit into the crown, thanks for that info.

With much searching about, I gave up on looking for springs to retrofit into these shocks. I made some enquiries with a couple of polyurethane suppliers, as it turns out that polyurethane bar is expensive. I wanted a couple of different hardnesses to be able to experiment with so I could tune the forks to suit me and my riding style.

I found this replacement set of elastomers from the ‘states and have ordered a set. I have read mixed reviews about them but they will be better than my crumbly mess that now resides in my bin!

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... 95-96.html

Hopefully they will turn up in the next week or so.

Oh, you opted for the ideal but most expensive option. (If you insist on not swapping the forks to the better MAG21)
Those Elastomeres will work fine for you, I am sure.

Coils would have been easily available and cheap, als you can really use any coils of the right size like those out of Judys (I think), RST... They go for under 10 Euros over here.
You could have posted in the wanted-section of the forum.

;)

(I know, this is not of much help for you now. But maybe someone else in that situation will read this)

Re:

To late now, they are solid elastomers and not MCU (foam) elastomers.
Bloody expensive as you'll be hit by import fees and import tax :-(.

21R uses the Judy Jax system.

Especially as you could get the better MAG legs for the cost of the elastomers, sprayed then yellow and had some new oil and fresh modern air.

But hope they work out for you.

Back