Info required on Hope hubs, 3ttt stem and Impact headset.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all. Just stripping down my latest purchase so I can begin the deep clean. It has a few parts on it I am not familiar with so wondered if anyone else could shed some light on what I have.

1- Hope hubbed wheels. I know that bit but what model are they? The rear obviously has a non hyperglide free hub as the cassette looks to be a screw on job so guess that marks them out as early?

2- 3ttt Pro Light stem. Am aware of the brand but that's about it. The previous owner has shoe horned in a riser bar so is it worth rescuing?

3-Impact headset. These were Dia Comp headsets right? It's got a weird lock ring and rubber covered lower cup. I remember them being often spoken about bitd but can't remember why?

Any help would be great. :D

Attachments

• 20180220_132038.jpg
    20180220_132038.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 557
  • 20180220_132049.jpg
    20180220_132049.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 557
  • 20180220_132023.jpg
    20180220_132023.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 558
impact headset is a kona part. They have a pretty low stack height, especially the top part, so i'd keep hold of it if you want to use that fork with that frame again

Re:

Front hub is a suspension

The thinner centre was the original no name, then came the suspension and then the fatso...

I know this because apart from catalogues I bought one from stif at bike95....

Re:

That's and early version of the suspension probably one of he first as they moved to the push on o-rings style pretty fast and lost the ever falling out grub screw.

The screw on rear actually lasted till the end pretty much.

Re:

3ttt pro light stem, exactly what it says, obviously the well known brand. I've got a 1 1/4 one of these at home & it is pretty light. not sure how good they are but mines 25+ years old & still intact, pretty sure they did a ti one called super light

Re:

Ta all. The Hope will be going a 92/3 era bike so all is well. Seem to remember the early hubs having issues with cracking but these seem fine so bonus. :cool:

The screw-on rear is a bit of a classic (for me at least) as you can reverse the axle and make a nice singlespeed hub!

Definitely the thin front hubs (original and lightweight) can suffer cracking. I suspect that many of them got built into trick wheels with funny lacing which over-stressed them.

Back