replacement for Gripshift SRT-800 X-rays?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
K, my x-rays housing is cracking, and biggest concerns is the cracks around the handlebar cinch bolt on the right shifter. i love my x-rays from day one but it will prob be hard to find replacements, and i'm a little concern on doing that since they are/were prone to cracks.

i'd still like to stick to twist shifting and was wondering what ppl would recommend as replacements? what was offered as follow up to the srt-800? and did it come with a more durable composite for the housing?

also a big concern is installing it onto my Scott AT2 LF bar. it is a one piece bar with integrated bar ends. i know when the x-rays were installed on it, they had to hack and trim it in a certain way for it to be negotiated onto the bars.

e1e_scott_at2_lf.jpg

dsc01107_689.jpg

the 2nd generation xrays (with a smoked finish to the perspex) were much more durable, they come up pretty regularly on eBay. As for fitting them on the scott bars, I just sold some Gripshift CX-DT's (first ever gripshift, 7 speed) on ebay which had instructions to fit the AT2's/3's - that doesnt help you, nor does the fact that they are only the second set I have seen in the last 3 years...

theboy

theboy":ddh5oqyt said:
the 2nd generation xrays (with a smoked finish to the perspex) were much more durable, they come up pretty regularly on eBay. As for fitting them on the scott bars, I just sold some Gripshift CX-DT's (first ever gripshift, 7 speed) on ebay which had instructions to fit the AT2's/3's - that doesnt help you, nor does the fact that they are only the second set I have seen in the last 3 years...

theboy

Darn! I just saw your posting for your x-rays you had for sale! I would have snapped those up from you!

Thanks for your tips, I'll keep my eyes out for the 2nd gen xrays or maybe i'll pick up the SRT600 which look fairly similar in design.

I am pretty sure Mrx, or Attack 8 speed model will work with 7 speed cassette. Just lock out #8. Attack shifters are my choice and are buttery smooth. The MRX are garbage, and will put a nice set screw dent in your sweet bars.

RockiMtn":wb2u96y7 said:
theboy":wb2u96y7 said:

theboy

Darn! I just saw your posting for your x-rays you had for sale! I would have snapped those up from you!

Thanks for your tips, I'll keep my eyes out for the 2nd gen xrays or maybe i'll pick up the SRT600 which look fairly similar in design.

With SRT600 you loose the 'grip' up the side and they are more like the older SRT 500's.

I second the post that 800 X-rays do appear on e-bay with some regularity, if you set up a search you'll be notified when they do. I include e-bay Germany too as that's a good source.

You could really go out on a tangent and get some Sachs wavey shifters, were fitted as original equipment on Cannondales bitd. Or go for the successor, the SRAM 9.0. The latter was the first featuring the 1:1 ratio still employed with X0 today. I have a set of 9.0 SL from 97 still going strong and incidentally it is lighter than my X0.

Enjoy!!

well reason why i'm trying to stick to SRT-800 or SRT-600 is to ensure that they can be slipped onto the handlebar i have, since i have no intention at the moment to replace them. hence why i'm considering the SRT-600 since they look fairly close in design. aside from the missing "side" grip, is there any other difference in performance and function?

i saw some references to the use of SRT Attacks Shorty 8-speeds. i'd consider them but problem is i won't know if they will be compatible with installing on my handlebars until i get them in my hands.

btw, why is everyone referencing 7-speed shifting. i'm fairly sure i have 8-speeds on my x-rays right now. but now i'm second guessing myself and counting the gears on my bike right now at work! LOL

SRAM has installation instruction on its website for the newer one. ave a look to see if they may fit (attack :cool:

else the old MRX are similar to SRT800, (just look similar). I thought the x-rays where more bulky though.

Best bet is to take yours off, then go compare them to some int he shops.

Thanx for the tip. I'll take a look at the SRAM site and see what installation instructions are posted.

I've also sent out an email to Scott USA to see if they can give me any idea which SRAM GripShift models are compatible with the AT2 LF bar I have.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the "Shorty" and "Non-Shorty" version of the Attacks?

Back