Cleaning up drivetrain bits- what techniques and substances?

randomdan

Retro Guru
So... I was in the man cave trying to get the built up crud from a aluminum crank cog the other day, and it made me think. What do other people do to get the really hard baked-on crud from off of deralurs, cranks, cassettes and other cruddy parts?

I'm not talking light deposits here, what I mean is probably particular to retro projects - which are often stood in sheds for years while this stuff sets like rock. It's generally made of dried greases mixed with grit and mud.

I tending to soak the offending part in white spirit, which doesn't usually touch it, then generally I chip the worst off with a sharp stanley blade or flat screwdriver before repeatedly working over with white spirit and a toothbrush - seems quite painstaking. Is there a better way?

Jus wondering...

£1 bike clearner from the pound shop, just be very careful as its basically patio clearner.....but works really well haha, then with a fine wire brush scrub hell out it and wash with warm soapy water, thoroughly rinse and dry

Re: clean drivetrain

I use petrol, then warm water with fairy liquid, then surgical spirit to degrease my cassettes and chains.. it's not the most popular with some nor, increasingly the cheaper option, but it gets the job done. Mechs and such I usually keep on top of and clean, then spray with gt85, makes it easier to get the smeg off the next time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0eOxbnzDQA
I can get 2 cassette and 4 chain cleans out a jar of spirit, and dispose of spent in my garden incinerator.

All the best.
M

Re:

Soak in paraffin and scrub with a toothbrush.

Can re use the paraffin as the dirt eventually settles to the bottom if you leave it and you can the pour the clean stuff off.

Regards,

Dave.

Re:

White spirit here, but it's not ideal.

Might try orange peel thinners if I can find it in a cost effective size.

I use surgical spirit for less grimy jobs, but is there a cheaper alternative? What does Edd China use in his refillable hand sprayer thingy? Something like carb cleaner bought in bulk?

A bit of WD40 to loosen it up then hot water and washing up liquid - all reasonably environmentally friendly

Reasonably

legrandefromage":3drzo1mj said:
A bit of WD40 to loosen it up then hot water and washing up liquid - all reasonably environmentally friendly

Reasonably

+1. I sometimes add degreaser to that mixture and of course a fair dollop of elbow grease.

I use bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar and fairy liquid, this combination works really well for me. Just leave to soak overnight and the dirt should have settled at the bottom of the container by the morning. Sometimes requires a little encouragement with a nail brush.

I get a bucket or similar size container , put the parts in add 3 cans of coke depending on the size of the container, washing powder little bit of washing up liquid and a sqwert of of gt86 then top up with water to cover the parts , give it a good mix and cover with a cloth,

leave or 6-8 hours no longer

when u come take em out give it another mix to loose the crap and poor off rince the parts under clean water and dry.

it will remove most crap old etc and minor rust

Back