Gripshift SRT versions?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me the difference between the various gripshift models?

300i

just curious really, I have some SRT600 8 speed, the left shifter has several small clicks for trim, I also have some 300 (I think, maybe 400), and the left shifter has just three positions, one for each chainring.

Any other differences?

Re:

I've only ever used the 800-x-ray and the 600 versions I think.
The grips are different I know that, the lower models have a simple tube type grip and the gear numbers shown on the plastic twist part.

800 (X-Ray)

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 2,725
  • 611Y70u4L9L._SX355_.jpg
    611Y70u4L9L._SX355_.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 2,725
Re:

Some of the cheaper models use horrible grub screws instead of clamps to attach to the bars which can ruin lightweight bars
Kes

Re:

My experience
SRT400: 42mm wide rotating grip, multiple clicks for front derailleur, 7 speed (on ‘96 bike).
SRT600: 34mm wide rotating grip, single clicks for front derailleur, 8 speed (on ‘95 bike).

So i thought SRT400 was 7 speed and SRT600 8 speed, also my period bike sales catalogues show this, however i recently purchased a NOS set of SRT600 7 speed which i’d never seen before. This set conforms to the SRT600 characteristics of 34mm rotating grip and single click for fd.

Re:

Some of it is age, but
SRT500 was the original first nice top end model.
It was 7 or 8 speed and had the trim.
SRT600 replaced it (again 7 or 8 speed), it already came with the metal index spring. That was a later upgrade for srt500 and over all a bit snappier to use.

Much the same apart from a style change in the grips (it was knobbly)

SRT X-Ray then became the top model and used a larger wrap up the flange grip and made from fragile plastic.

Still much the same (as you can use set500/600 grip rotating part in them with minor end barrel modification, well vice versa anyway)

Srt400/300 are not so nice to use. I have a big box of nos versions of them. But good for grabbing spares from.
I tried to use 400s but didn't realise how poor they were in comparison and I don't know why!

If you really want to know the compatible parts between them (though not may work parts) grab Sutherland 6th.

Re:

Oh and the trim/no trim was a choice.for the front shifter.

SRT300 was the original SRT model iirc in 91/2? Which the 500/400 replaced.... But been a while so don't quote me.

probably, if those mechs were designed to work with shimano 7 or 8 speed which I imagine they were

these are gripshift shifters though, not sram. After sram bought gripshift the shifters with names are shimano compatible, the ones with numbers are sram compatible.

I think...

Re:

I've got SRT-300 on one bike, SRT-400 on another and SRT-600 on yet another. In use, I really don't notice any great difference between the SRT-400 and SRT-600; in fact, I find the rotating grip slightly more comfortable on the SRT-400. Perhaps the SRT-600 will last longer though. However, the SRT-300 are different: the left hand shifter needs turning much further than the others to shift gear, so much so that I find it difficult to adjust steering while changing gear with that shifter. Swapping the SRT-300 for something further up the range is on this year's to-do list.

foz":3cnuj9bx said:
probably, if those mechs were designed to work with shimano 7 or 8 speed which I imagine they were

these are gripshift shifters though, not sram. After sram bought gripshift the shifters with names are shimano compatible, the ones with numbers are sram compatible.

I think...

Thanks!

I was under the impression that Sram was the first ever to make grip-based shifters, no?

Back