Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

Wheel Disc - £1000 NOS

You wouldn't get a NOS disk for that, and you haven't allowed for a really nice expensive hub or rim to lace it to...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:17 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

This is all a little skewed. For example, there was a time when you could get a Tioga disc wheel new for £25 when Madison sold off Thier old stock. I've seen Chris king/wtb headsets sell for under £200. It's easy to overinflate that value of something, you only have to look on eBay at the ridiculous bin prices for common tat, let alone rare stuff.

What are a lot of the parts rare? Pedigree and minimal numbers made I get, but a lot of the retro stuff is rare because it was poorly designed and under-engineered so they often broke. Some of it did look good though.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

ishaw wrote:
This is all a little skewed. For example, there was a time when you could get a Tioga disc wheel new for £25 when Madison sold off Thier old stock. I've seen Chris king/wtb headsets sell for under £200. It's easy to overinflate that value of something, you only have to look on eBay at the ridiculous bin prices for common tat, let alone rare stuff.

What are a lot of the parts rare? Pedigree and minimal numbers made I get, but a lot of the retro stuff is rare because it was poorly designed and under-engineered so they often broke. Some of it did look good though.

Of course you could get these parts for much less bitd. I still have some of my original invoices :wink: Onza white porcs £10ea on special etc. This thread is more about showing how things can and have changed with the value of retro parts. We all know you can build a retro bike very cheap -£100-150 but i never had a clue, as i suspect many of us didnt, just how pricey a top end ‘iconic build’ can be. Significabtly MORE than a modern halo bike £7-10k. Lets not forget the modern has a crazy high depreciation rate. A top end original retro like a Klein Attitude or Cunningham starts to make sense, not only as a great rider but as a safe investment ;) There does seem to be a healthy increase in interest in such Iconic bikes, at least on FB. :)

I’d argue that most of the best ‘upgrade’ components of yesteryear were ‘better made’ than much of the modern stuff, which has clearly been made with built in obsolescence for profitability in mind, not to mention constant design/ spec changes. Much of the old stuff has lasted 20-30yrs anyway and was lovingly cnc machined ;)

Of course there are examples of poor construction due to bad alloys, poor use of materials, glues and quality control. There always has been but by and large i think it was ‘BETTER’ engineered often by small artisan manufacturers looking to make their mark in a sport they participated in an loved. Its all so marketing driven by huge corporations these days, with only a tiny niche of hadmade custom builders and even fewer custom upgrade component makers :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7