89 Saracen Trekker - suspension options

Muthaducka

Retro Newbie
Hi

I've just joined the site. I've owned my bike from new, so it's had 28 years of action!
I can't face parting with it, so I spent quite a bit of money on it last year, getting a strip down service, new single chainring conversion with an 11 speed cassette squeezed in at the back (new wheels and gearset).

It runs very well now and feels like a new bike. I've got 40 now and let's say I appreciate slippers. So I'm looking for some comfort. Does anyone know what size steerer/ headset the bike has? I think it's 1" or 1" 1/18th. I'd like a modern set of suspension front forks, or at least something that is serviceable.

Can anyone advise or has made a similar modification?

Cheers, Matthew

Ps. I wish I had kept the San Marco saddle. So comfy.

Re:

Saracen adopted 11/8" headsets quite early, but I have a feeling they were still1" in '89. Easiest way to tell is to measure the diameter of the quill on the stem. If it is approx 22mm then you have a 1" headset. If it it approx 25mm then it is 11/8"

As for forks; the issue you will have with a modern fork is that the frame will not have been designed for something that long. You should ideally fit one with around 50mm of travel. You will struggle to find a modern fork with a 1" steerer too, if that turns out to be what you need.

It might be better to look for a nice set of early-mid 90's Pace RC35s.

They'll look ace on a Saracen and will be a more appropriate length.

Re:

I think you'll struggle to find a decent modern fork with a 1 inch steerer. Not impossible as I've seen sids and some bombers with them, but the travel will be around 80mm minimum. You can add spacers internally on some to reduce the travel though, so again not impossible.

I guess it depends on what you mean by modern and serviceable. Modern relative to your frame, well that's practically any suspension fork. Serviceable is a different kettle of fish, as most forks are, it's the parts that are the challenge. If you get a modern fork such as a sid (post 0:cool:, then parts are plentiful. I've seen a few people who offer steerer replacement, so maybe you could get someone to replace a 1 1/8 steerer with a 1 inch?

Failing that, pace and marzocchi forks were available with replaceable steerers up to around 2000, so could be a good place to start.

I think I saw some pace rc36 for sale on here recently with a 1 inch steerer, they were the hollowform version, pre DT Swiss takeover.

Re:

Pace were making RC39's with a 1" steerer right up to 2006/7 from memory. I'd stick to a refurbished RC35 myself though. I was impressed with how well my old set worked.

Oh, and both my 89 Saracens have 1" headsets.

Some great advice. Thanks for taking time to respond. I just missed out on some Pace RC35's after your suggestions but it had a 1 1/8 steerer. But after missing the auction, I weighed up the forks would have to be refurbished, then changed to 1" and maybe loose the double u-brske on the front. Mmm.......

So, I've spotted a couple of RockShox Mag 21's for sale. It seems there's people on here with the knowhow if I get stuck. It's got a 1" steerer and mounts for my u-brakes. Sound like a plan?

I've tried to upload pics but the files are over the limit. So I'll sort it at some point.

Re:

Mags are nice but are much more fragile than the Pace due to more complicated internals. Bit more flexy as well if that bothers you.

OK. Maybe I'll take a bit more time and stick to looking for Pace forks. I actually prefer the look of the pace forks. I've found some RC36 forks with a 1" steerer (perfect) but no mount for u-brakes / cantilevers.

Do you think I could simply buy another mount and bolt it on?

I don't think you will find any Suspension forks with mounts for U brakes, these were largely phased out everywhere by the time Suspension was mainstream. The U brake has mounts that would be higher up the leg than Cantis/V's. You will probably need to fit Cantis if you go suspension.

Carl.

Cheers Carl / Brocklander. I thought as much. So needle in a haystack then.
I've just put a bid on some RC36s with a 1" steerer. There's a kit I've found that adds cantilever brake mounts to the fork (original pace item) and then I'll decide on a front brake.
I have the horn for a magura HSSR front rim brake. I'll put up some pictures if I get the kit.

Welcome, as others have said Pace are a good choice. You can also get a shim for a 1 1/8" fork and then are able to fit 1" steerer tubes which pace still sell. You should make sure the fork you are buying has a long enough steerer, again though you can replace them for longer if needs be, just adds money.

Any cantilever brake should fit the forks once you have them and there is plenty of choice for not a lot of money. This site is great for finding the odd part here and there and everyone is always more than willing to help out if they can :)

As for pictures, you will need to resize the images to upload them ;)

Mark

Back