Removing stuck self extractor help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a nice set of middleburn cranks but one of the self extractors is very stuck. Anyone know how I can remove it without damaging the arm/thread? I don't care about the extractor/bolt, just the arm.

Currently soaking in a tub of gt85.

Re:

Is it the cheapo Alu ones with two holes in a variety of colours.

Also if you have some propanone/acetone drip that around the threading and let it soak for a bit.
It may have been threadlocked in (they they should).
Goty my syncros ones and a Sugino steel ones out easily after doing that.

Re:

I didn't fit them myself, so can't say but just the two hole jobbies. Still soaking at the mo, the other side came out easily and no threadlock......

mdvineng":1ft8d6cu said:
Little bit of heat (hairdryer) a few heat/cold cycles will help break the corrosion adhesion.

Or use a heatgun, that should shift it.

Re:

Are the original peg holes chewed up and are you using the right tool? Silly question perhaps, but really they shouldn't be in that tight anyway. I remember mine
were a fairly sloppy fit.

Re:

Holes are a bit chewed up, but have the correct tool (pin pliers, not crap ones). The other side came out easily, this one was hard from the get go and only moved a bit before it moved no further. I've taken it to the lbs who also couldn't budge it, but they did at least say it looked to be straight and the threads would be fine once out. They didn't want to force it but couldn't suggest a way of removal aside from cutting a wedge out and peeling it out. I can't see how that would work with the bolt in situ, and haven't gone down that route yet.

Re:

Mmmh. The proper tool (atleast the ones I had) is the Shimano tool for chainring bolts. If the LBS had a go, then I see no option to hack at it. Possibly drill bigger holes and make a beefier peg spanner with nails and a bench vice.

EDIT: After a rummage, Shimano tool ref. is TL-FC21. Made in Japan, so not shit ;-)

Re:

As an aside we once had a customers bike come in with a properly seized BB in it. Turned out it had been glued in with industrial adhesive ffs. Frame got clamped up with rags to protect, BB cups and tool bolted tight to it with washer and held secure, then a two foot adjustable wrench was fitted, with around 8ft of scaffold pole on the end if that. It was gently teased out with no damage :LOL: We never even charged him as it was a fun challenge with the usual caveat, we do this at the customers agreed risk.

Back