Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thinking of getting some shirts made up with the logos of some old (and now defunct) brands. Any profits would go towards hosting this site. Just wondered what peoples opinions were?

1. Any interest in general ?

2. Do people think it is morally wrong? Anyone get upset by this? I'd do my best to seek permission from any interested parties first, but if trademarks have been allowed to slip……

3. Any ideas for brands? I'm thinking things like Fat, Trimble, Cook Bros, Topline, etc etc.

scant":2fifeegh said:
u know my thoughts on this ;)

..and you know mine. Let's see what the moral majority think. It's just a t-shirt after all...

trimble is now trading again so thats probabily a no-no. cook bros has never stopped trading, uncertain about proflex-K2?

ask and ye shall receive

Just a thought...

Surely if you asked the companies in question, explained why you were producing the t-shirts, and could demonstrate that you were not bringing their brand into disrepute then they may agree, after all an old Kona rotary logo t-shirt is not part of their current brand image, however it would raise the profile of their company and is therefore free advertising.

I am absolutely in agreement, some ideas:

Dyna Tech
Yeti
Fat Chance
Muddy Fox

Re: ask and ye shall receive

Stick Legs":3udvny52 said:
Just a thought...

Surely if you asked the companies in question, explained why you were producing the t-shirts, and could demonstrate that you were not bringing their brand into disrepute then they may agree, after all an old Kona rotary logo t-shirt is not part of their current brand image, however it would raise the profile of their company and is therefore free advertising.

I am absolutely in agreement, some ideas:

Dyna Tech
Yeti
Fat Chance
Muddy Fox

try mailing them & asking? Unfortunately I think you'll find that most, if not all of the current companys wont agree. They pay considerable sums to copyright & protect their labels. Maybe a chance they could re-release old designs, but little to no chance they'd give consent to willingly use their logo/ branding trademark. Mail them & ask!

Companys like yeti already make their own T shirts, why not buy 1 of those? ... heck if you'd been at the yetitribe meet you would have had a special edition yeti T shirt for free. (AFAIK only 14 in the UK ;)
Infact if you want an old FAT, yeti , kona or anyone else T shirt why not hunt down an original? Surely the essence of retro is finding the original stuff in the first place?

Hey just my take! Be interested to hear any company responses.

I do think that most companies are still trading in different forms or shape . Ringle is still trading , so is yeti , K2 as well , paul , etc...

How about designing a riding shirt ?

we did one on the french forum . it is fairly easy to design , and we had the shirts made in germany by a company called Oatway . for an order of 50 shirts the cost was just above 40 euros . all shirts have 3 pockets and a long zip at the front , they are proper cycling tops .
John could add a fiver to go towards the site .

Back